CLUB CLASSIC - Location Unknown

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Just thought I would share this format with you all.

One of the Long Island Clubs I fish with (Long Island Bassmasters) has an interesting format for our classic. They do not tell you where the lake is until the morning of the Classic. Here's what they do:

They pick a meeting place that is centrally located around several fish-able lakes. Set a meeting time and treat the qualifiers to breakfast. At breakfast, they disclose the location of the lake and provide each participant with a lake map. It really makes a challenging tournament and keeps you on your toes.

I find rod/lure selection the most interesting part. I have 20 rods all rigged and ready to go so that no matter where we end up, I will already have a good 4 rod starting point to work from.

It really is amazing how depth, vegetation, current and water clarity can dramatically impact the type of rod/reel/line/lure combination one needs to select.

Anyways, I thought you might find this information interesting and maybe even give it a try in your club.

BC
Brendan C.
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Brendan, remember the good ole days of Bassmaster Classics when they flew of to an undisclosed site to fish. I thought that was super cool. I would love a tournament like that. Will try to get our bass club to try it. Sounds like fun. Thanks for the reminder and trip back into the past. I'll bet some members of bassin' never knew the Bassmaster tour ever did that.
Johnnie Crain
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Yeah,

It would be fun... nice to have a boat already there waiting for you too!

BC
Brendan C.
carl

Post by carl »

Our club does something of a variation which we call mystery lake. We meet and then each boat takes off and fishes it's own water, has to be public, and of course the honor system rules. We would have won it last year, but we were disqualified for being 5 minutes late in returning.
RNE

Post by RNE »

The BASSMASTER Classic used to be that way as was said.

To make it even more challenging they limited the qualifying field to so much tackle (by weight) and told them the lake after the plane took off.

I'd go nutz! What do you take? How much of what color, size ETC!
Fishing is life, any kind of fishing!
MMT

Post by MMT »

Bren, I have a question. Who actually decides the location? Is it done ahead of time or that morning? Is there a guy who might know ahead of time that has the opportunity to prefish? I like the idea but unless a guy who isn't fishing decides then it might not be truly bulletproof for the whole field
Craig DeFranzo
JOE D.

Post by JOE D. »

Brendan, The very frist club I belonged to had that format.The club has folded but it took members from the whole state.We all meet somewhere to eat,and go from there.That brings the good old days back it was alot of FUN.I was a stone cold rookie back then.Man they were good days.THANKS,The culb was New Jersey Anglers if anyone else remembers them,

JOE D.