TOURNAMENT PREPARATION

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
brendanc

TOURNAMENT PREPARATION

Post by brendanc »

Some of our southern friends do not have to deal with a closed fishing season because their lakes do not freeze over the winter. For us northern anglers, winter is a good time for us to re-organize our tackle, restock items for the spring and spend some time reflecting on what worked over the past year and what did not.

I also feel that this can be a great time to fine tune your tournament preparation routine.

How many of you have a "preparation routine" that you follow before a tournament? Maybe a "check list" is a better term...

Every season I hear anglers asking other anglers "how do you prepare for a tournament?". It's a great question and I think we can all benefit from a discussion about this topic. I also thought it might be helpful if we work together to build a "Tournament Checklist" that we can all share with others. In fact, we should make two:

1) Boaters Tournament Check List
2) NON-Boaters Tournament Check List

Southern Anglers, one little side question for you guys/gals: Since you don't really get much of a break in your fishing season (I think) how do you manage to keep things organized (tackle, equipment, etc.)?

I kick the list off with a couple of items (I’m leaving room on purpose):

Boaters Tournament Check List:

Lake Map & Lake Information
Directions to Lake
Fishing License
Boat & Trailer Registration
Battery Charge Status

NON-Boaters Tournament Check List:

Life Jacket
Culling Ropes
Scale
Fishing License
Rain Gear

Get where I am going with this? Just select and copy the latest list(s) and paste it into your reply... so we can keep everything together. I'll try to consolidate any missing items along the way.

Brendan
Brendan C.
mofish

TOURNAMENT PREPARATION

Post by mofish »

Well I am probably one of the most unorganized folks around when it comes to this.. I work all day with instructions and procedures and when I get off work the last thing I want to see is another list to follow. (now if my wife would just see this)

Its a great Idea you have here Brendan and I could really learn alot from this.

I will tell you how I stay ready for a tournament (since organized is not a word in my vocabulary)
Being from the South I can tell you that my boat is ready to go any time any day. All I have to do is hook up and take off.

1. After the scedule is set I make sure I have maps for all the lakes.

2. Research all I can find on the internet about the lake. Start pre-fishing if I can.

3. Have baits that will be needed in front or on top of other tackle boxes in the boat. Or what I call my Baggie system. (walmart bags stuffed with baits for that lake) No really I have the clear plano boxes for baits.

4. Check reels and do any fixing or repairing that needs done. Change line so that I have fresh line on the reels.

5. Tie baits on with the best knots that I can tie. I take alot of time here to make sure the knots are done right because I have more time to ensure they are.

6. Hook up muffs and start motor. This will ensure that when I back the boat down the next morning at the lake that it will fire right up without having to set there and crank and crank holding up the boat ramp.

7. Do a final check of boat, batteries charged, lights working, warm clothes (if needed) Tailer lights, tire pressures, straps and registration, liscens and other documents that might be needed. Charged cell phone.

8. lay out what rods will be used first thing that morning. If your prefishing was correct you should know what you will start with at least.

9. coffee maker on and ready to go so that when I'm up and dress the first cup is waiting and the rest is ready for the thermos.

10 Drive to the lake with the dreams of the winning stinger in you head. This may sound silly but on the tournaments that I have managed to finish well in,, I put myself in a positive mode driving to the lake seeing each cast and working my bait back to the boat and landing fish. Its quite the confidence builder.

11 Go catch some fish.
Thanks,
Conley Staley
bassin butch

TOURNAMENT PREPARATION

Post by bassin butch »

I also am ready to go with my boat just hitch and go. I do however plug in a extension cord (on-board charger) the day before a tournament. I want to be 100% sure I have a full charge before hit the water. Most of my pre-tournament preparation is dedicated to viewing weather forecasts, and an up to date fishing report. With tackle: I check for line nicks from the hook to 5 feet up the line, if I even feel a minor abrasion I cut the line and re-tie the hook. Every soft plastic bait is perfectly positioned on the hook, all hooks are checked for sharpness. One very important thing I do is: A couple of days before a tournament I take a ride down to the launch and talk to locals. I'm amazed at what I've learned! One thing that I can't prepare for is: WEED CHOPPING EQUIPMENT EEEEEEK'S. These buggers are basically giant lawn mowers that can reek havoc on your favorite honey hole.

Bassin Butch
carl

TOURNAMENT PREPARATION

Post by carl »

Don't think I can add much. My problem is the closer the tourny is the more nervious I get. Then I start adding stuf to my tackle bag,"might need this", "just in case," ect. In the end I wind up with way too much. This year I'm gonna try and control myself. Good luck Carl.
brendanc

TOURNAMENT PREPARATION

Post by brendanc »

Well, this wasn't exactly a smashing success! LOL
Brendan C.
mofish

TOURNAMENT PREPARATION

Post by mofish »

Ok I will do it right this time!! lol!!

Directions to Lake
Fishing License
Battery Charge Status
Charged Cell Phone
Rain Gear
Fresh Line (just in case)
Lures that will be needed first thing
Rod and Reels layed out in order (with baits tied on)
Gas
Drinks and snacks

Life Jacket
Culling Ropes
Scale
Fishing License
Rain Gear
CASH to help with Gas and Oil
snacks and drinks
Tackle bag
rod and reels (3 or 4)
Thanks,
Conley Staley
brendanc

TOURNAMENT PREPARATION

Post by brendanc »

Alright, we are off and running:

I don't know if this only happens to me or not, but even though I leave almost everything in my boat, I still on occasion get to the lake and can't seem to find one of the items listed below.

Directions to Lake
Fishing License
Electronics
Boat Keys
Battery Charge Status
Charged Cell Phone
Rain Gear
Net
Culling Ropes
Scale
Fresh Line (just in case)
Lures that will be needed first thing
Rod and Reels layed out in order (with baits tied on)
Gas/Oil
Drinks and snacks

Life Jacket
Culling Ropes
Scale
Fishing License
Rain Gear
CASH to help with Gas and Oil
snacks and drinks
Tackle bag
rod and reels (3 or 4)
Brendan C.
NC_Basser

TOURNAMENT PREPARATION

Post by NC_Basser »

Just signed on as a new member of the board. Very happy that I found such a great place to talk fishing.

I am jumping into the tournament trail as a co-angler. Signed up for the FLW BFL and paid for all 5 tournaments. Now for the question.

I have never fished as a co-angler before and need to know what to expect from my boating partner and how much equipment I SHOULD take with me. This thread has started to get into the answers but has not had much input on the co-angler side. Brenden has started in this area so how about some more input.

Thanks
NC Basser
brendanc

TOURNAMENT PREPARATION

Post by brendanc »

NC Basser,

Sorry for the delayed response. Some of the best advice I can give you is to always ask the boater what they recommend. Every boater has different feelings about how much is too much.

A great rule of thumb is to try and condense everything into a bag that can fit into an average size bass boat compartment. If the boater does not have a designated compartment for you, he will most likely have you keep your tackle in front of your seat or under a console (if the boat is a dual console). From a boater’s perspective, I like to keep a clear path from the front deck to the rear deck and also to the driver's seat. So with that in mind, there is not much room left for excess gear. I would recommend using a tackle bag (like a tackle logic system) instead of a plastic tackle box. Bags are easy to store.

Rain gear, lunch, extra clothes, etc. should be kept in a medium size gym bag. Bringing any more than 6 rods can get a bit difficult to manage as a non-boater, I would recommend trying to limit your rod and reel combos based on where and how you will be fishing with your boater. Again, when you meet your partner, ask him/her "What type of areas will we be fishing and what I should bring?". Always ask an "open ended" question, you'll have the best chance of getting more information from the boater if you do so.

You can bring as much stuff with you to the hotel or campground and condense things before the tournament. In a two-day event, you may be fishing 50+ feet of water with spinning gear on one day, and flipping heavy cover in 5 inches of water the next, so you will most likely be modifying your setup from one day to the next.

For a basic tournament guideline, try the following:

Six rod & reel combos
One medium sized gym bag (Rain gear, lunch bag, extra clothing, camera, etc.)
One medium sized Soft tackle bag/system

If you stick with these guidelines, no boater should give you any trouble. Remember to bring some cash (about $50.00) to contribute for your share of the boat expenses for the day. It is always best to ask the boater “before the tournament” what they anticipate your half of the expenses to be…

I hope this helps, feel free to ask me to elaborate on any of these points, or to discuss some other questions you may have.

Thanks for posting…

Brendan
Brendan C.