Bassmaster Classic Update

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Here's the latest from the Bassmaster Classic:

ANDERSON S.C., 1:34 p.m. —2/22/08

Scott Rook just keeps putting the pressure on. He just added a 4 1/2 pounder to his creel, giving him 21 pounds, 10 ounces and a more than 3-pound lead over Terry "Big Show" Scroggins.

Rook who was in Coneross Creek is moving around the Seneca River, which is a good sign for him. He just caught a solid 4-pounder away from that initial area so the best guess is he's running a pattern and has some things figured out.

Judging by the catch rates, of those on the top of the heap, he's the only one adding to his weight.

Answering a few questions from the bottom of this blog on the conversation:

As far as any word from Ike. He's got a limit and is setting in 7th place with 15-4. Don't think he's broken anything yet.

Still haven't heard a lick from Skeet, but I'm guessing that's a technical issue. If not we're going to re-spike his hair, because he's messing up my fantasy team ranking.

(This just in: Skeet is in 31st with 7 pounds. Come on Hollywood.)

Casey Ashley, the hometown favorite, is in 14th with four fish totalling 11-13. He's still in a position to make a big move. One of those 4- to 5-pounder could put him right in the thick of things.

Kelly Jordon is another angler missing that fifth keeper. He's in 11th with 12-14 and could make a move quick with a solid keeper.

Still surprised by Steve Kennedy? He's in 25th place with 9-7.

The top 10, with the exception of Rook's weight, hasn't changed much.

ANDERSON S.C., 1 p.m.—2/22/08

I knew we would get a few more surprises before this day was over. This one is rather pleasant.

Charlie Hartley has jumped into the mix in a big way. He's currently in fifth place, just having boated a to 4- to 5-pound class fish. He was far enough down the leaderboard we weren't paying attention to his position. Now he's in the top 10.

Hartley is one of our favorite personalities. The dude always has a smile on his face and we know he can catch them. Obviously, he's figured out something.

We followed him in practice and saw him fishing docks. The rain has more or less stopped and it's gotten brighter, not exactly sun glass needing bright. But possibly bright enough to position a few fish.

I'm searching I know. But if that's the case, that could bode well for several of our anglers, including some we haven't heard from that we know are concentrating on docks.

At the noon hour:

• Scott Rook 20 pounds, 1 ounce
• Terry Scroggins 18 pounds
• Kevin VanDam 17 pounds, 8 ounces
• Cliff Pace 16 pounds
• Charlie Hartley 15 pounds, 11 ounces
• Alton Jones 15 pounds, 6 ounces
• Michael Iaconelli 15 pounds, 4 ounces
• Aaron Martens 15 pounds, 2 ounces
• Kotaro Kiriyama 14 pounds, 8 ounces
• Bobby Lane 13 pounds, 1 ounce

Source Link
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Thanks for the update Brendan. Man the sounds pretty tight.

One five pounder and my favorite Aaron Martens (a Castaic homeboy and legend in his own time) could be on top.

Learned most of what I know about the dropshot from watching videos of him demonstrating the dropshot at Castaic Lagoon of all places. My home lake!!!!!

Good fishing to ya, later........ geobass
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Look how dramatically things changed from this post on day one:

DAY 1 STANDINGS

Here are links to the rest:

DAY 2 STANDINGS

DAY 3 STANDINGS

FINAL STANDINGS
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

Hey Aaron made a good showing and he had the flu...at least he wasnt second again...he is my favorite fisherman...I think this is his year to do really well...just a feeling I have, along with Byron Velvick, this is his comeback year.
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Aaron is always in the hunt. I like him also.

I'm wondering Byron’s fishing performance has suffered as a result of the publicity he has received since being on "The Bachelor”. Even now, he tends to be in the spotlight more and more, except now he is interviewing others instead of being interviewed. Also, did you notice how he struggled during the year when he was co-hosting on ESPN with Mark Zona (and that other guy)?

What are your thoughts about his performance?
Brendan C.
mofish

Post by mofish »

Most of you know this already! Look what a part that electronics played in this classic. Alton Jones used his side finder to help him locate his fish. Almost every shot of the Pro's on the water fishing the guys were looking down at their electronics while fishing. Drop shot, and spooning for individual fish were big factors in most of the limits. Wouldn't it have been great to be an observer in the boat with these guys and to see how and what they were looking at to target these fish?

This is one weakness that I have, that needs to be corrected. Fishing off shore and using the electronics to help me catch fish as apposed to just using it as a depth finder and beating the banks with 75% of the other fishermen. I’ve learned a lot in the last few months by just getting out and working with my electronics and not doing a lot of fishing just looking. It’s amazing all the stuff that you can find if you just pay attention to them and figure out what it is telling you. My side finder will be here in a couple days and I can't wait. Just another tool that when used properly is going to be great!
Thanks,
Conley Staley