Three Part Tactic Article - by Frank Lapinski

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Hey everyone, just want to let you know that we've posted a three part article (in Tactics and Techniques) that were written by NY Prostaff Member - Frank Lapinski. Check them out:

Yoga with a Casting Rod - Part 1

Bass Talk, Are You Listening ? - Part 2

What's Your Lure Doin' ? - Part 3
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Those were excellent reads Frank. You are so right about "were you listening?"

I have noticed that I do best when I am totally focused. Sometimes I have to admit that it is a challenge to keep the intensity of concentration up at all times.

There have also been times when I was fishing that I retired not from pure physical exhaustion but from the feeling that I had lost the ability to concentrate on what was going on.

There is a lot of great advice in your three part article. Thanks for taking the time to write it, I appreciate your insights.

Good fishing to ya, later............. geobass

P.S. In a few minutes I am off to Castaic, my mission number one today is to stay focused and listen!!!!
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Glad you enjoyed them. My mantra is;
Luck occurs when Opportunity and Preparation collide!!!

Are you prepared?
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
ronlehman909

Post by ronlehman909 »

Frank, thank you for this insight. Never looked at fishing in this light. I guess I fall into the catagory of using fishing as a stress reliever for work and home life. It is very relaxing and if I have the fortune of catching something then it's the icing on the cake. You really hit the nail on the head when I read that. I have a lot of work to do to become more focused on fishing and not using it as just a stress reliever. Thanks for the direction.
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
pbruessow

Post by pbruessow »

I fish for fun as a stress reliever but when in a tournament it's all focus. Either way I'm away from work
The Largemouth Herald
Florida Bass Lakes
Bass Fishing
SomethingSmells

Post by SomethingSmells »

Wow Frank great read. I try to feel what the lure is doing but you gave me some good insight on how to practice. The only question I have is can I practice some crankbaits with the points cut off so I don't get caught and lose my lure? I rather replace the hook then the whole lure.

I also try to listen what the environment and the fish are telling me and I'm always learning new things. Thats what I like about fishing is you learn something almost everytime you go out. The other reason is the people you meet. I've never met a fisherman that would'nt talk to you NEVER. I love this sport
James Carroll "Live,Love,Laugh and fish"
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

I gather that you are a shore bound fisherman. Cranks from shore are tough as they will hang and the tricks used to free them can't be performed from shore. If I might make a suggestion, You are a Long Island guy so how about practicing someplace that you can see the bottom clearly. Stop at the Rte. 25 Bridge in Smithtown. The one over the Nissequogue River and check out what the bottom looks like at low tide. Make a mental note or quick sketch of where the logs and rocks are. Cast a around at low tide so you can see what your lure does when it contacts an obstruction. Then come back at high tide and fish a deeper running bait. That way when you run the lure over an obstruction you can feel whats is happening as well as visualize it in your mind. If your'e a Southshore guy try the Werthiem Refuge Bridge on the Carmans River. The reason I suggest this is because most baits don't run well with out hooks. Hooks serve as hooks and also as ballast on a plug. Changing hooks can change how a bait runs or tracks. Good luck.

PS There are some bass up in White's Pool on the Nissequogue! Try a deep Wee R in the White water at the falls.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York