The winter fishing has been great this year .

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

My work is slow for another 3 to 4 weeks and i am hitting the water hard . And i havent been let down . In 2 dayz of getting back into fishing ( me being able to fish more than a hour ) I have caught 26 real nice full bellied LMB . The water must be cooling off enuff for shad to die off a little . Cause when i throw my white spinner with gold willow blades , They are nailin it . Throw out and pump swim it off the bottom or just slow roll it off the bottom .

Again the craw has worked great too . Go as light a bullet weight as you can stand . They get hammered fast when you throw it out deep , let it settle and jerk it around hard and let it settle . Just to get their attention . Most of the times you have to watch line cause it will be moveing sidewayz and you need to set the hook .

Another one that is working well for me is 10 inch tequila sunrise by culprit . Again use light bullet head on this the worm is plenty heavy . Throw it out deep . let it sink yo bottom and twitch it in .

Thats my 2 cents and hopefully it will help any of you who read this . Later on
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

MbBass,

What type of lake or ponds have you been fishing. Approx Size?

Just curious...

BC
Brendan C.
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

Anywhere from 10 acres to 30 acres . 15 ' at the deepest . water temp seems to be around 58 to 61 right now . Full moon is right around the corner . But fishin has been great .
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Can you say SPAWN?
Brendan C.
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

In this cool of water ? I thought spawn time was around end of febuary thru april . At least it seemed that way to me last year . And i have been catching everything out deep . Last year you could see the bass on the beds real shallow . I would like to show you spawn time in 3 lakes that i fish you wouldnt believe the size of bass and their beds .
jmoyer198484

Post by jmoyer198484 »

i dont think the spawn has hit yet out here, but maybe pre spawn, i have been killing them on weight less senkos,but only on red colors like red shad or just plain red,but the fish have been moving shallow on the warmer days,but on the colder days blk and blue jigs and purple and my back bone bait dropshot lizard,i havent had any luck on anybait that has 2 be swimmed,like spinnerbaits,lipless cranks,swimbaits,or any fished fast or slow,
jason moyer
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

Thats wild cause the spinner and craw and 10 inch worm have been hot right now . But the spinnerbait has been on fire . But i like to throw it when its windy . Go where the wind is blowin the water and toss your spinner next to the edges . Also the white with silver and black flake senkos are great . The pink and green works great . But lately the lures with a touch of pink have been good . I have a silver white and pink spinner that is wore out from the past 2 months .
jmoyer198484

Post by jmoyer198484 »

maaybe our lakes and pond are differently structured and set up,all of my ponds are very muddy and stained,only 16 feet deep and full of wood,whats yours like?
jason moyer
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

Mostly stained and murky . A few of the lakes the i fish are clear . They are alot harder to fish . in the clear lakes but it is mostly on my most furthest cast . But that makes for a long battle when you catch a big one far out . But there is this one pond that has huge bass and it is brackish water . Mullet got washed in from hurricane hugo . Some of these mullet are about 10 to 15 pounds and they sky out of the water jump after jump .

I really believe that i can break South Carolinas record with one of 2 ponds that i fish that are well stocked with forage and real old lakes . I would say they are 65 years plus . And the pond with the mullet has almost zero fishing pressure . I dont fish with anyone that wants to fish for more than 2 hours .

I would like to get a fishin buddy to get a sneak boat and see what we can find . I have caught up to a 9.8 lbs ponds bass and i have had 5 bass break my line or my hook like it wasnt nothing . 2 of the times i saw the bass and couldnt believe it .
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Originally Posted By: MbBass In this cool of water ? I thought spawn time was around end of febuary thru april . At least it seemed that way to me last year . And i have been catching everything out deep . Last year you could see the bass on the beds real shallow .

MbBass,

If you have water temps hitting 60+ degrees, your bass will be primariliy prespawn, however, with the arrival of the full moon, some of your biggest bass will move up to spawn first. They will also spawn deeper than you might think. I'm not saying that you are going to walk the bank and see beds all over the place, in fact most early beds, you won't even see... but they are there. Pay close attention to the males you catch, when you pick them up, see if you notice a pee stream. Regarless of the males, closely inspect the tails of the bigger females you are catching. If you see redness on the tail, or even blood... guess what?

If you have lakes with smallies in them, they will be all over the beds from the upper 50's to low 60's. Again, your biggest bass will mostly spawn first. They are the dominant bass and want first pick at the best spawning areas. Remember the bigger bass are not going to be in stupid places most of the time. Focus on heavy cover whether you are fishing shallow or deep (big wood, stumps and rock) and you want a hard rock/sand bottom. If you ever came out in the spring with me, you wouldn't believe some of the places I have found beds in 60 degree water...
Brendan C.