Catch More Bedding Bass - Part 1 Shaw Grigsby

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

Catch More Bedding Bass
Part 1: Shaw Grigsby
Article Source

Bedding bass often produce heavy bags at tournament weigh-ins and bed fishing can produce the biggest bass of your life, but many anglers face two serious problems when bass are on the beds — finding them and making them bite. Two of the best bedding bass anglers fishing the Bassmaster Elite Series — Shaw Grigsby and Ish Monroe — agreed to share their techniques for finding and catching bass during the spawn.

In Part 1, Grigsby will help us find beds and bass during the spawn. In Part 2, Monroe will share his tricks for making them bite.

Part 1: Finding Beds and Bass

According to Shaw Grigsby, finding bedding bass isn't all that difficult — if you follow a few simple rules. Here are his five best.

1. Water clarity matters, but isn't critical

According to the 11-time Bassmaster Classic qualifier, the first thing we should consider when bed fishing is water clarity. Obviously, Grigsby's first choice is clean water with great visibility, but he'll be the first to tell you that water clarity of only a foot or so is sufficient if you keep a sharp eye on the task at hand. In some cases he says you can find beds and bass with no water clarity at all, if you know what to look for.

"It's important to be able to see what's under the surface. To do that you need water clarity. But, if you can't see the beds or bass movement on the bottom, watch the water's surface for telltale swirls or creases that indicate fish movement.

"That's technically not sight fishing, but it's the same thing as far as I'm concerned and, more importantly, it helps you catch the same fish."

2. Boat positioning is critical
Grigsby recommends positioning your boat in a place that lets you see all the way to the bank and, at the same time, lets you see all the way out until the bottom disappears somewhere under the boat. If he's searching a big flat he wants to be able to see what's in the middle of the flat as he looks left and right.

"Finding beds is about covering water. Boat position is critical. Make sure that your boat is positioned so that you can see the maximum amount of water and bottom as you move along. Fishing and practice time is limited. You can't afford to waste it wandering around in an inefficient, haphazard manner."

3. Your sunglasses matter ... a lot
Wearing the proper sunglasses — amber or light brown lenses with excellent polarization — is critical to finding bedding bass, according to this Elite Series pro. In fact, he flatly states you can't do it without them. Amber and light brown lenses enhance the available light while their polarization reduces glare. That lets you see bottom details and fish movement with clarity.

"I recommend Strike King Sunglasses. They work better than anything I've found on the market. But whatever you wear, don't skimp on them. Buy the very best you can afford. Good glasses are a critical piece of your equipment."

4. The water's background can help or hurt
Grigsby is emphatic when he says that areas with a dark background — shorelines with tall trees, dark bushes or high bluffs — are the best places to mark beds. The darkness reduces glare and helps you find beds and define fish movement.

"I'm looking for places where I can catch fish. I can't catch them if I can't see them. I limit my search areas to those places where it's somewhat dark so I can see under the water. I know there are bass in other places. But if I can't see them I can't bed fish them. So what's the point?"

5. Secrecy is vital
Grigsby frequently marks 200 or more beds in practice for a tournament. It's important that the other anglers not know where they're located.

"Sometimes other anglers will watch you when you're looking for beds. To keep them from knowing where my beds are, I often tape a worm weight to the waypoint button on my GPS. When I see a bass I simply move my foot over and tap the weight without any other body movement. That marks my fish without my competitors knowing what's going on."
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I have to stress again the importance of NOT bed fishing the little ponds in your area... if you are going to bed fish, PLEASE do it on a large body of water that can support the pressure...
Brendan C.
Anthony Falzon

Post by Anthony Falzon »

Your so right Brendan, The past few years I fished couple of small lakes around our area and maybe its me but I personally found a decline in fish. It makes perfect sense to let these bass go through there regular spawning stage. Its so worth it for the future. It is very important and should be brought up at the next LIB meeting where a lot of the members there fish the same waters.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

They have mentioned it to the LIB club members and those guys are pretty good about it. I'm stressing this point to all the people who read these baords from around the world...
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Thanks wgbassgirl!!

Ya know these kinds of posts are the reason I love coming to this website. That is all great info.

One of the coolest things about fishing beds from the shoreline if you can find them is getting to see the fish strike the lure or just sit there and do nothing.

Sometimes the suspense kills me.

Later.......