Fishing during an Earthquake!

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

What changes to you make when a 4.4 earthquake hits while you are fishing? Do you take off the shakey worm and fish a steady beaver?? Cut off the lipless crankbait and use a slider? Curious easterners want to know???

On a serious note, do the bass go on the feed before it hits? I know animals look for cover before it happens, I was wondering about the fish, any feedback?
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

i remember i heard somewhere that the quake shakes up stuff on the lake floor which gets the baitfish eating those plankton and zooplankton that get shook up in the water column
they the predators like bass and trout come out and eat the baitfish
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

I'm not sure, but I know Catmando caught the California record blue catfish like the night after or the day after an earthquake a few years ago. The record has been broke since then, but he is still trying to get it back, haha.
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

you know nobody knows who catmando is right
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101you know nobody knows who catmando is right

I don't care, lol. He is on FNN... Here you go if you don't know about him: http://catmandobaits.com/ronson_smothers.htm
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

I've met Cat.... he's a nice guy.

Personally I don't think quakes affect fishing that much. What worries me most about quakes while I'm fishing at the Lagoon is the possibility of a dam failure.

I seriously doubt I would have time to make it to high ground before I was a gonner if Castaic dam failed.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Man would that be a real problem Geo... RUN DUDE, RUN!!!

Brendan C.
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: geobassI've met Cat.... he's a nice guy.

Personally I don't think quakes affect fishing that much. What worries me most about quakes while I'm fishing at the Lagoon is the possibility of a dam failure.

I seriously doubt I would have time to make it to high ground before I was a gonner if Castaic dam failed.
Ya, that would be the only thing I would be scared about, LOL! I highly doubt that it will ever fail, haha.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Well I'm off to Castaic Lagoon for my last day of "winter" fishing.

While I'm at the bottom of the dam I'll keep that video in mind Brendan.

But I'll tell ya this, if that ever does happen while I'm there I hope I have landed and weighted a fifteen pound bass just before the first wave hits. That way I will have accomplished my goal and died with a smile on my face!!!!
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Geo, If you get a 15 pounder and then the dam breaks, just jump on his back and surf that toad all the way to LA!!!!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York