Hot weather spawn to post spawn

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
allen howard

Post by allen howard »

Ok here's the senerio. Air temp in the mid 90's, Water temp 80 to 81 stained one to two feet visability, fish are in the spawn to post spawn. Pop up showers at any time. Clouds of baitfish are everywhere. What would be my best option for finding fish and the best lures to use. The lake has no grass plenty of rocks and laydowns. Should I go up further in the creeks or backing off to the points that go to deeper water? This is always my toughest time of year any suggestions?
garland7

Post by garland7 »

I think I would try fishing the laydowns in the creeks first, especially if they go out to about 8-10ft of water. This may allow you to catch a limit relatively quick. You said that clouds of baitfish are everywhere, so I assume that is mainly on the main lake. If the creeks don't pan out fairly quick, go out to the lake and fish the points and also any other type of underwater structure, such as a hump, roadbed, ditch or whatnot. You probably won't have to go super deep since the water isn't all that hot yet, but the bigger fish probably are near that deeper water, and the baitfish. Good luck
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

How long have the bass been off the beds? Do you have bucks guarding fry?
Brendan C.
allen howard

Post by allen howard »

Thanks for the info guys. I tried back in the creeks and all the laydowns. And baitfish where on the main lake and in the creeks. I'm not sure how long they have been off the beds but I think it's toward the end of bedding. I'm thinking of caralina rigging the points out of the creeks and useing a Manns 30+ crankbait. I got a topo of the lake and found a few humps in about 20' of water which I'll check out with my graph also acouple of road beds. It was my first zero for the year and it sticks in my craw. And I've got the same lake again next weekend. And I hope to do better.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I'd be checking the staging areas just outside the bigger spawning flats. If you can find some structure near the first major break leading out of the spawning areas, you should connect with some post-spawn bass. Instead of fishing back in the creeks, check the first break just outside the creek mouth. The other option is to try a completely different part of the lake where the bass may be further along in the post spawn stage (or still spawning). What lake are you fishing?
Brendan C.
allen howard

Post by allen howard »

Thanks Brendon. I'm fishing East Fork lake in ohio. The water has compleately changed since spring. It is usually clear up to 10ft visibility but it is a nice shade of green with only about a foot to foot and a half. There has never been any vegitation but alot of rock banks and pleanty of laydowns. I guess I need to pay mor attention to the graph and look for deeper structure and creek channels
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Is this the place?

East Fork Lake Ohio Contour Map
Brendan C.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I'd be looking for areas like this. This one is real obvious, so you might want to look for ones that are a little more subtle:

Attached files
Brendan C.
allen howard

Post by allen howard »

Yep thats the place. I've worked that area before. also around the ramp there is ususally good. There is a road bed on the other end of the lake. And a good point just east of the south ramp I plan on working too. It's a tough lake cause it gets pounded constantly. Plus I'm not used to it having any color to it. It's usually clear. We'll see, that tourney isn't until the end if the month. I've got a night tourney at Brookeville the 17th I can't wait to work those smallies over. But it doesn't hurt to plan ahead. Thanks for the help.
allen howard

Post by allen howard »

Hey Brendon any suggetions on lure selection on that lake. Usually a greenpumpkin football head or a shakey head works well. But with a change in the water color would black and blue with a rattle be a better choice? As for a crankbait I was thinking firetiger 2 to 300 series Bandits. I'll use the carolina rig for deep humps and dropoffs and a manns 30+. Any other ideas?