A simple little tip to save you time and money

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
Fish-N-Fool

Post by Fish-N-Fool »

I have had a lot of problems in the past with my skirted baits like spinnerbaits and buzzbaits, with the little rubberband on the skirts braking. It seems like after just a little use the rubber band holding the skirt rots and you end up with strips of rubber all over your tackle box or boat.
I found a simple fix for this by taking a sandwich bag or garbage bag wire ties, striping the paper off and getting down to just the little wire. I wrap it over the rubberband twice and twist tie it in place. Then trim the wires off close. You can't hardly even see the wire and the skirts stay on for years with no problem. I do this mod to every new spinnerbait, buzzbait, and skirted jig I buy or make (I make most of my own baits) Since I started doing this 3 years ago I have not lost a single skirt
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Good idea. Should save alot of skirts. Thanks. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
allen howard

Post by allen howard »

good tip! I also like to use left over braided line on my jigs and skirted baits. Wrap it around 9 or 10 times tie it off and us some super glue to keep the knots.
SpoonMinnow

Post by SpoonMinnow »

Best one I came up with in early summer for jigs and spinnerbaits is to use a zip tie. If I want to replace old skirts or change skirt colors, I slide the zip tie down, cut it off and add a new one. Bass haven't minded one bit!
Takes less than a minute.

Ties are cheap per 50 at the dollar store or Walmart and small in diameter. I buy skirt tabs at Lurecraft.com or fishingskirts.com and usually use 2.5 to 3 per lure. The color and pattern selection is amazing! Barb wire or fish scale patterns are my favorite.

Formerly known as SenkoSam