Old topic - line diameter

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
SpoonMinnow

Post by SpoonMinnow »

I'm not a big believer in line diameter as a fish turn-off, but I do strongly believe that the wrong design or size lure can be a problem for less than aggressive fish or when matching forage size that schooled fish are hitting. There are many rules for using various line diameters and types and I agree that each has its place, but one key rule I go by is the smaller the lure, the slower the presentation or deeper the depth, the lighter the line test for the best lure action.

Using 20# test mono for a 1/16 oz jig or small dropshot finesse lure is counterproductive because everything about the lure and its action is subtle and slow. Even using small lures with faster retrieves on more aggressive fish requires smaller diameter line IMO.

I wouldn't use large diameter line on X-Raps. for instance - it would mute the action. But for large deep dive crankbaits, I have no problem using 17 lb test Trilene XT when trolling.

If fish are pressured or need a bit of harrassment, small lures and line to match present a complete compatibility of parts which is always required for most set ups. Hook size matches bait size; line size and type accomodate the best action and speed of the bait. You don't put oversized hooks on soft plastics and neither would you use too small or too large a diameter line on large baits that fish are hitting.

Every year I see bluegills bite my blue line near the surface when I use poppers. I don't have a clue why, but if fish thought the line threatening, how come so many fish of different species hit baits on 12# test flourocarbon ice fishing? The lateral line easily detects the line and the eyes detect the hook but the fish thinks nothing of it.

And maybe that's my point - fish don't think - they react - sometimes slower, sometimes faster.

FrankM
Formerly known as SenkoSam
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

I look at line diameter a bit differently. It's all about depth & speed control for the situation you are faced with. Larger diameter lines will reduce the depth you are working your lure at; the reverse being true as well. (Within reason of course!)

I'm not talking here about technique specific presentations; such as drop shotting or flipping. Rather the use of wide spectrum lures, like crankbaits and horizontal retrieves.

After re-reading your article, I think we are basically saying the same thing, but it cannot be over emphasized enough, depth & speed control are the two most important aspects of fishing success. To put the odds in your favor, this thought process is paramount. The rest of what we do just "fine tunes" the presentation. This has to be made very clear, to beginners, especially.