Break It Down - How To Dissect A Lake

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
Anglers Radio

Post by Anglers Radio »

OK, here's a question I get a lot.

Let me set the scenario for you.

You have a tournament in 2 weeks on a lake you have never been to and don't really know anything about it. Where do you start and more importantly how do you catch bass?

First, before I leave, I do a ton of research on the lake itself. Size, depth, maps, predominant forage, and species available.

I also search for current fishing reports and water conditions. When I find some reports I am more looking for a starting point as far as lures, lure color and locations. I prefer to fish my way as opposed to what a magazine or dock talk tells me, however sometimes some of the things you hear or read can be invaluable, especially hot colors or baits. (this has helped me in Florida a few times).

I then take all of this information and based upon the time of year I dissect my map and make my decisions on where I am going to fish and more importantly where I'm NOT going to fish.

For example if its spawning time I'm going to avoid deeper main lake areas generally on the lower end of the lake near the dam. But lets just say for sake of this post its a Largemouth fishery in the middle of June and the spawns over and bass are in a solid early summer pattern.

One of the biggest keys for me in unlocking a new body of water in a SHORT period of time is making the lake and the fish adapt to what I do well. I am a shallow dirty water angler so naturally I would like to find the most stained water I can find.

Another reason I like fishing this kind of water on a unfamiliar lake is because bass under those water conditions are generally easier to catch. This is important since I have a limited amount of time to figure out where bass are what they're doing and how to catch them. The stained water allows me to be more successful with reaction baits like spinnerbaits,crankbaits etc. which in turn allows me to cover water quickly hitting more areas on the lake, remember were under a time crunch.

So I want stained water where should I look?

On your map look for major creek or river arms feeding the lake traditionally these will be on the upper half of the lake opposite the dam. Another advantage to targeting bass in these areas is most times you will have current which again is to my advantage. So now not only are the bass in this area going to be shallow and vulnerable to reaction baits due to the stained water but now they are going to be predictably positioned on visible cover most likely on the bank because of the current.

Now you go to these areas and look. Which one has the best water color, best cover and seems most reliable if a front or major weather change occurs. Is the water stained due to recent weather that in a few days could change and push bass out or is it always stained due to the river feeding it etc.

Is there deep water near by or easy access to a defined creek or river channel which can replenish your area with new waves of fish coming in.Is there current present?

Stay in constant view of your electronics paying special attention to water temp. readings,bottom composition and most of all schools of baitfish. Also observe the the water and shore for birds and bait. Herons, Loons, seagulls, have all helped me to slow down and pay more attention to an area I normally would pass. Bait is often the key on big bodies of water find not only the bait but the right bait and you find bass.

Now I've picked my spot or spots and its time to fish.

I cover water quickly with reaction baits that I am confident in using color combos I already know to be productive on the lake due to my research. I put my trolling motor on high and hit every visible piece of cover. Everytime I catch a fish I mark it on my GPS. Im not trying to slam them or milk the area. I want to find concentrations of bass quickly and take note of what kind of cover they hit on,what was the depth, was there current. After hitting as many spots as I can in a day I regroup and review what Ive learned.
OK I caught x number of bass and out of those ,x number where in x feet of water on x type of cover. Ok I caught 2 bass in this creek 4 in this one but 7 in this one. Then out of those seven 4 came on a 200 yard stretch of bank. Bingo there's your sweet spot. Now I return the next day and saturate the area with the same baits and others like jigs,plastics etc. I also spend even more time examining the bottom with my electronics looking for more cover and depth change that wasn't noticeable when I zipped through the area with trolling motor on high the day before. Now Im totally trying to milk this area and find what it has to offer and is it worthy of being an all day area and does it have the replenishing factor based upon its location in the creek, deeper water proximity, abundance of cover and bait.

Now is when instinct becomes a factor. You already have found bass,goal #1 accomplished but now we are gonna get greedy and try to win. Do you believe this is an all day spot or is it just a key piece that has helped you unlock a pattern you can run all day in your tournament by looking for similar areas on your map or in the similar areas you already have caught bass on while prefishing. All I can tell you is go with your gut. You have to trust YOUR instincts if your going to be successful. If you don't think your good enough than you wouldn't be competing in this event anyway. I can give you some advice. For me size of the bass plays a major role in deciding if its an all day spot not so much numbers of bass. Meaning if I caught 8 two pound bass in this spot as opposed to 3 two pounders in another spot. I'm gonna lean towards running the pattern all over the lake as in hopes of running into some bigger fish. But say I caught two 4lbers mixed in with those and every other bass I caught on the lake was 2 or under I may lean towards hole sitting. Its all instinct unless the spot is so hot it makes the decision for you and those don't happen often.

Now you make your decision and you live with it. You wont always win and you wont always be right but you will learn from it and became even more adept at fishing to your strengths and breaking down a new body of water. When you do succeed and cash a check or win your confidence sky rockets and confidence is everything in this game. When you dont, look at what you did wrong and right and apply it the next time you go to another new lake.

This is how I do it but these are my strengths yours might be different but the same principles apply. First research and find areas on the map that fit your style of fishing eliminate those that don't. Base your decision on the seasonal patterns and movements of the predominant species available and the type of depth,cover and water clarity that you are good at. Then go there use your electronics,eyes,instincts and search baits to locate bass and the cover they're using. Then go back to your most productive areas milk them and decide if you've found a honey hole or a pattern and using your instincts fish accordingly and learn good or bad from your decisions.

This is how I find bass QUICKLY. When I have a lot of time or Im just fun fishing I may use a different approach but when you have 2 to 5 days tops to locate and catch a limit of bass if you follow these basic principles you will be successful more than you will fail.

Hope this helps. Tight Lines
THE BASS COLLEGE
SCBassboy1984

Post by SCBassboy1984 »

That is a great info page
marques

Post by marques »

I research as much info as I can even if its a lake I never been on or a place I fish 3 days a week. When I get out there I always think about where the fish are gonna be not where the fish are at . So many times we will find fish practicing on tuesday for a saturday tournament and just prior to the tournament a cold front or rain storm comes through and totally changes the pattern that you had found . Always have a primary and a secondary pattern in case a cold front or weather change comes through so you can make adjustment quickly . That should help you out. Tight Lines !!
Marques Green : Bassin' USA Prostaff - IL
justinl8688

Post by justinl8688 »

Great info
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Very nice... thanks for sharing an article from your website with our members...
Brendan C.