Should the Alabama Rig be Banned from Tournaments?

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
tracker90hp

Post by tracker90hp »

i dont think they should ban the alabama rig ,,,,but i do think that they should probably not allow it in tournaments,,i cant explain why i feel that way ,,its just everysince ive watch tournaments it always beeen one lure on a line & this rig actually has 5 on a line,,just my opinion is all ,,
bass_angler15

Post by bass_angler15 »

This rig should definitely be banned from all tournament fishing. If it is illeagal to fish with more than one rod at a time, why should it be legal to fish with 5 baits at a time?
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I think the pole is "should the Alabama Rig be banned from tournaments"... it is in the post, but the title does not reflect it. Should be clarified...

Guys have been fishing double rigs like a "front runner" or a double fluke rig for many years... I guess when you take something that is typically used for trolling in saltwater, downsize it and make it cast-able, with 5 lures/hooks, I can see where the controversy lies…

I agree that it takes away from the essence of bass fishing.
You can look at it the same way as trolling… it gives you an advantage over normal casting and retrieving and allows you to cover a tremendous amount of water. Trolling is not allowed in bass fishing tournaments… but many anglers use this as a tool during practice to locate schools of bass, then cast to them.
The Alabama rig was designed to capitalize on multiple fish while bass are schooling. Very cool idea… but again, I think it crosses that line between sport fishing and commercial fishing… next people will just start long lining! lol

The issue really is over the number of hooks and we as bass anglers have to remember that the freshwater rules sometimes apply across the board when it comes to fishing. Every state has different rules… in NY you cannot use five hooks at one time. I think 2 per rod per person is the max... anyone know for sure?

Some guys are throwing these things with teasers so they really only have 2 hooks but five plastics... it still seems a bit over the top.

As a tournament angler, I'd be fine with seeing these banned from tournaments. If they don't get banned and they become the next rage, we may have to convert over to the dark-side to stay competitive! >/smiley-angry021.gif" alt="[burst]" title="[burst]" height="112" width="48" />
Brendan C.
smallmouth

Post by smallmouth »

Would you shoot a bunch of ducks sitting on the water? A located school of bass is akin to sitting ducks. Dragging one of those monstrosities through them is just as unsportsmanlike as shooting "sitting ducks".

God Bless,
Don
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I hear you Don...

Listen to what some of the pros are saying about it:

Brendan C.
smallmouth

Post by smallmouth »

Concensus of the pros seems to be "if it catches fish it's got to be added to the arsenal." Bottom line there is tournament money.

God Bless,
Don
allen howard

Post by allen howard »

I know in Ohio the DNR regulations state that no more than three hooks can be used on one rod. So it's already banned here. I'd check your local regulations before I spent alot of money on a lure that may be illegal.
SCBassboy1984

Post by SCBassboy1984 »

this topic is blown out of proportion ,come on guys,its still fishing with a lure,i know plenty of people that fish triple fluke rigs and drop shots,whats next,they are going 2 ban berkly gulp because its 2 much like live bait,
markvenable

Post by markvenable »

Why ban the Alabama rig? It's five pieces of wire configured to catch fish. If we ban the Alabama rig because it's too effective or not sporting, maybe we should look into the boats that cover too much water for the fish to have a chance and the down imaging that not only shows the fish, but also your lure and even your line. It almost seems that those who are whining are trying to make sure that only those with the money for a 50,000 dollar boat with a 5,000 dollar fish finder can compete. Seems silly to me. >/confused.gif" alt="confused" title="confused" height="15" width="15" />
markvenable

Post by markvenable »

How much fishing skill does it take to buy a boat that you can cover all the water with or a fish finder that shows your lure drop right in front of the fish?