Should the Alabama Rig be Banned from Tournaments?

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Nice... we've got a good debate going here. Some valid points.

Hello Mav, Tracker90hp, bass_angler15 and smallmouth... forgot to say "welcome to the site". Glad to see you've joined the community and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Originally Posted By: mavHow much fishing skill does it take to buy a boat that you can cover all the water with or a fish finder that shows your lure drop right in front of the fish?

You know, sometimes having a fast boat can be a negative... you spend too much time running around and not enough time fishing.

I think we could safely say that some level of "skill" is required in any of these techniques. For example, I know lots of guys who have all the fancy electronics, but don't know how to put them to practical use. Basically they use it to tell them the depth and water temp and that's all.

I guess if you think about it, the Alabama rig is nothing more than another tool that anglers have at their disposal. If you don't know how to use your electronics to locate schools of bass, you can throw that thing all day and you may never connect.

Perhaps most of the issues surrounding this tool are regarding the legality of it's use from state to state.

Anyway, it's nice to hear erveryone's opinions... thanks for sharing.

BC

Brendan C.
markvenable

Post by markvenable »

I will agree that if the Alabama rig is not legal in a state, then it should not be used there. Just like certain states, or particular lakes, have a 12 inch minimum length on certain species and others have a 14 inch minimum. I just say that those opposed to the Alabama rig or those that think it's use is unsporting should question the sporting aspect of other tools that are used that give the angler as much, if not more of an edge, than the Alabama rig.
markvenable

Post by markvenable »

I would also like to say that the purpose of a fast boat is to shorten the amount of time you spend running, not increase it. On my home lake, sometimes the fish are biting best on the north end where the rivers run in, and other times the south end, closer to the dam. A faster machine helps a lot when your tournament is out of a ramp up north and the fishing is better down south due to water clarity. I am talking about Lake Lanier, no small body of water to cover in this situation.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I hear you Mav... A faster machine helps... especially when you've gotta make a long run.

Big water, long runs and bad weather can also get you into some trouble. How many times have you made a long run and then had the weather turn on you? That never makes for a good time! lol
Brendan C.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Nunz,

I know you, so I know that you're being sarcastic... lol "long lining with 50 swimbaits"...

I will say that you made a comment in an early post about how hard it would be to fish an Alabama rig all day... I'd agree with that, that's a lot of weight to be chucking around.

Thanks for sharing those videos...
Brendan C.
smallmouth

Post by smallmouth »

I fish from a kayak and have a Humminbird PiranahMax so I won't be going in any tournaments any time soon. I think you can guess why I feel the way I do about this rig. Almost 20 pounds of my favourite gamefish on one cast is really ridiculous! Turns the sport into "catching" not "fishing".

God Bless,
Don
Rich Tomasini

Post by Rich Tomasini »

I don't like it one bit, but as a tourny fisherman if you don't keep up with the Jone's you become a donator. I don't have one YET but that may change. I hope they ban it.
SCBassboy1984

Post by SCBassboy1984 »

last time i checked, the reason why we spend so much money on new lures and baits,is 2 do what? more catching instead of casting or fishing.it is still a lure,and you still have 2 fool the fish with it,and if they do ban it here in s.c.,witch i dont see happening,ill still be throwing one,just because i can ps; i have yet 2 catch a fish on the a;rig,but i hopefully will lol
SCBassboy1984

Post by SCBassboy1984 »

not a whole lot yet? but i plan on it asap!
smallmouth

Post by smallmouth »

Crappie guys have their multiple trolling rigs so they can catch as many crappie as possible because of the fine eating qualities of the fish. As much as I enjoy a feed of crappie or jumbo perch, I'd much sooner catch them on a float and fly setup on my flyrod or casting tiny jigs for them with my ultra-lite spinning rod. I would not enjoy catching multiple fish at the same time. Only the guys who need to catch 40 crappie each time out enjoy fishing like that.

I know what tournament guys do with their fish but some guys think nothing of eating 20" smallmouth and largemouth. The "Alabama Rig" in the hands of someone like that would be a definite threat to the health of our fisheries.

I can hear the grandpa talking to his grandson, "yeah, son, the fish sure are scarce these days. Don't know what happened. Back in the day, we used to catch 'em 5 at a time on the good ol' Alabama Rig!"

God Bless,
Don