Should the Alabama Rig be Banned from Tournaments?

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
markvenable

Post by markvenable »

You are right about that! Have had smooth water on the way out and was darn right scared coming back on a few occasions! Can be a little un nerving, especially when you seem to be the only one on the water.
markvenable

Post by markvenable »

I see your point, but I feel that the point is to catch fish and not to just go fishing. I don't believe that the rig is as effective as the hype makes it out to be anyway. There is no "magic" lure. If you don't know how deep the fish are, and get your bait there, how big and what type of forage, then almost any lure is deemed ineffective. There are other factors that help besides just these as well. I would also say that this is probably not the first time such a rig has been used to catch bass. This is just a high publicity situation where it worked. Besides, what business is it of ours how another catches his fish? In a tournament, the rig is fair as long as everybody is allowed to use it.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Originally Posted By: mavI see your point, but I feel that the point is to catch fish and not to just go fishing. I don't believe that the rig is as effective as the hype makes it out to be anyway. There is no "magic" lure. If you don't know how deep the fish are, and get your bait there, how big and what type of forage, then almost any lure is deemed ineffective. There are other factors that help besides just these as well. I would also say that this is probably not the first time such a rig has been used to catch bass. This is just a high publicity situation where it worked. Besides, what business is it of ours how another catches his fish? In a tournament, the rig is fair as long as everybody is allowed to use it.

Well said Mav... I fished in a tournament his past weekend. While getting my boat ready at the ramp I spoke with a guy who had an Alabama Rig tied on. I struck up a conversation with him and his partner and asked them if they knew what the "official" ruling was from the Connecticut DEP. They said the DEP told them there is no limit to the number of hooks you can have on 1 fishing pole. They went on to explain how a large jerkbait might have 3 sets of treble hooks... each treble hook could be counted as a hook so technically you are fishing a big husky jerk for example and you have 9 hooks. Anyway, it was another perspective.

On a side note, they did not win the tournament or place in the money using that rig, so your point is very valid... it's mostly media hype. You don't just go out and buy one and suddenly you’re loading the boat with fish. Same goes for fish finders, gps units, fast boats, etc. In the end, we all have to find and catch them... you can find them sometimes and never be able to get them to hit anything... excluding maybe live bait. I don't fish with live bait, so I wouldn't know if that's a guarantee either...

Brendan C.
Rich Tomasini

Post by Rich Tomasini »

In Connecticut you can use 3 baited hooks. Baited as in any form of live bait dead or alive. Artificials are not considered bait, thats why 5 hooks with artificials are allowed.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Hey Stump,

Thanks for adding that detail about live bait... I totally forgot to mention that detail... this is what happens when you don't fish with live bait! Perhaps as I get more into ice fishing that will change.

You busy hunting now? Haven't seen you guys at any of the opens this fall.
Brendan C.
kspringer

Post by kspringer »

Hey guys, I have had the opportunity to fish with this contraption and all I can say is, you can wack em on this stupid looking thing. My buddy, Dan Morehead won the Stren Championship here on Kentucky Lake with this thing and it was amazing to watch. Do I think it should be banned? I dont know, I feel like it will be, but like alot of other posts, its really no different than alot of other things we fish. I think that if everyone can fish it, I dont have a problem with it. But by the time you have it rigged, you have about $60 tied on the end of your braided line. I think it will just be like the spoon, you will hear alot about it and then when everyone starts throwing it, the fish will get used to seeing it and it will just be another tool in the box that we can use. But as far as fall fishing, it ROCKS!!!! for now.......
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Hey Kevin... thanks for adding your two sense. I was wondering when you were going to chime in! :)Good Stuff
Brendan C.
Fish-N-Fool

Post by Fish-N-Fool »

Originally Posted By: SCBassboy1984whats next,they are going 2 ban berkly gulp because its 2 much like live bait,
I hope so, I hate that chit! lol
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

All that talking and look what I got for Christmas as one of my gifts:

I'll have to try them out now... >/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink" height="15" width="15" />
Brendan C.
kspringer

Post by kspringer »

Now they will outlawed for sure!!!!!