The improved Boob Tube Rig as posted on the WFN.

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
Fish-N-Fool

Post by Fish-N-Fool »

Here is an article that was posted on the World Fishing Network on my Boob Tube rig. Note; I posted this here last year, but I have made a few improvements to it since then I want to share. Here is what they wrote in the article and my posting;

Move over Alabama Rig there is another innovation to bass fishing that could possibly change fishing forever. From Rick Lawrence, the inventor of the Fish-N-Fool knot comes; "The Boob Tube rig". Rick was kind enough to allow me to share his rig and his instructional pictures from his site with WFN. In this post Rick will give us step-by-step instruction for rigging the "The Boob Tube rig".
From your inventor of the Fish-N-Fool knot comes; "The Boob Tube rig".

Here is a new way to fish a tube that I came up with that has turned into a killer technique, See below for the required parts. I want to point out that I don't make or sell any of the parts for this rig so you will have to find them yourself. So use any make of tube you like. You cut a piece of old worm about a 1/2' long to make a plug you put into the back of the tube to form a air pocket inside the tube. For a loud rattle you can drop a glass rattle into the tube before gluing the plug in place. I have found for colder water the tube will collapse from the air shrinking, so I use an old earplug, just roll it up tight and slide it into the head of the bait. it will expand to make a tight fit. Then I use clear silicone seal it up or one of the worm glues, so the bait stays soft but air tight. A plug off a non-Salt would work best for this, like off a grub or something. It is stronger plastic to hold the hook better and it is lighter so it floats. I set up a standard Carolina rig and hook my boob tube with my gammy finesse hook into the part I put the plug into like in the 5th pixs, I go in the center of the plug that I put in and out the side of the tube making sure the hook does not go into the air chamber. This makes the tube float straight up giving it the best action. I like about 15" of line between the hook and the swivel. This makes the bait float up above the bottom of the lake. If you give the bait a little slack it pulls line through the weight and floats up, tightening up on it pulls the bait down and makes the beads clack on the weight and the skirt on the bait flares out give bass something they have never seen before. You can work this rig up and down clacking it and making the bait skirt flare, as you inch it across the bottom. Killer for SM on the Flats and for weeded up lakes it works great with a little longer line from the hook to the weight. I use a large bead next to the swivel so it slides over the knot and does not rest on it, so it can't damage your knot. Then a smaller bead for more clack. I make up the baits ahead of time so when you need a new one it only takes a sec to rig up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what you will need to make the Boob tube rig, first a tube you like, a scrap worm to make the plug out of, a casting weight with an eye on one end, a hook (gammy red finesse 1/0), 2 beads one large and a smaller, and a barrel swivel.

Cut your plug about 1/2" long

If you want put in a glass rattle and then glue the plug in place.

With the plug in place it will look like this.

The hook goes in from the center of the plug bottom and out the side of the tube like this.

That way when you fish it it will float up and look like this.

So this is how the rig works if you let line out, the tube will pull line through the weight and float up. A heavier weight works best for this, so like to use a 1 oz. or so. That way the bait moves and not the weight when you pop it. Let line go slack the bait will pull line through the weight and float up. Pull on the line and the tube will go back down and the skirt will flare out each time you pull. It looks a lot like a crawdad sinking in the water. When the swivel hits the beads against the weight it makes a loud clack. Plus you can pop the bait while it is floating up to make the rattle in the tube clack. The Smallies seem to love this rig over here. I think I'll call it the "Fish-N-Fool Boob Tube rig"

You need to be a line watcher with this rig as when a fish takes it the line will slip through the weight. So the fish will not feel the weight at all and you will just see the line going out, when that happens SET THE HOOOOK!!!! LOL
So, hope you like my Boob tube rig.
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

Love this set-up! Can't wait to give it a whirl. Sort of like a floating Fat Ika. Thanks for this information.