Hook for Magnum Tubes

Share tactics, tips, strategies and other fishing information...
ukey28

Hook for Magnum Tubes

Post by ukey28 »

One of my confidence baits is a Bass Pro magnum tube with a 3/16 oz. Gitzit Glider. I've been using a Gammy 3/0 Wide Gap but I'm starting to miss fish on it. Anybody use this rig with a different hook. I'm all ears.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
JoeM

Hook for Magnum Tubes

Post by JoeM »

Frank- You are using a Texas or texposed-type rig? I find it difficult to get away from the insider type jig that i've been using since Oates got Garland to send me these in 1977. (You'd think I would change by now, but it still works)
By the way, Charles posted (somewhere) that there is a new tube hook/jig that is weedless. Might we get Charles on here to deliver the goods? JoeM
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator
YAR

Hook for Magnum Tubes

Post by YAR »

frank, i used to throw that alot. for some reason i don't anymore. but when i did i used a 2/o or 3/o in the eagleclaw HP hooks with a 1/16 or 1/8 HP internal weight. i don't think i really ever missed a hook set. the set up was on spinning reel with 12lbt. i still have some, i will bring some to the meeting for you if you want.
SMbass

Hook for Magnum Tubes

Post by SMbass »

I used to use the HP hooks also, but have stopped due to the fact I do not want any metal clips by my knot. The weakest part between the angler and the bass is his knot. Putting a metal clip right next to it is not a good idea. I like using a 3/0Texposer hook from Lunker City. the tube may slip down the hook every once and while, but that is a small price to pay versus having a metal clip cut your knot on a 6lb. bass.
Tim Carini
ukey28

Hook for Magnum Tubes

Post by ukey28 »

I tried the HP hook but it doesn't sit right with the glider. I like the glider because it makes the bait fall more like an injured minnow. I rig it tex-posed so I need a wide gap without a lot of length. Hey Jo , if the oates your'e talking about is George, then its older than 77. I think george was in the big house in 77.LOL
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
YAR

Hook for Magnum Tubes

Post by YAR »

hey tim, i never had my line break with a fish or a tree(lol) on while using the HP hooks with the clip on them. also frank the tube still darts like a hurt minnow if you use the HP internal weights.
JoeM

Hook for Magnum Tubes

Post by JoeM »

Frank- It must have been Bernie keene then, because I'm positive it wasn't earlier. And by '79 George was in Vail Colorado and Bernie was with National Bass.
wow, that was ages ago, right? JoeM
Good Fishing,
brendanc

Hook for Magnum Tubes

Post by brendanc »

Gentlemen... Fear not, there is a hook that has all the characteristics you are looking for. It's made by Eagle Claw and it's called the "R-bend" hook. I have addapted an different way of rigging the hook that wil hold the bait in place (so it doesn't slide down the shank) and is completely weedless. It has a very wide gap and a forged needle hook point. Super sharp and really tuff. They "never" bend on you like some of the other hooks I've used.

I'd have to demonstrate the rigging in person, so next time we meet, just ask me and I'll be happy to share it with you. Although the HP system is good, I have also found it to be troublesome in weeds. Remember this... "The HP hook was designed for flippin into heavy cover (i.e. Trees, docks, etc.) In these types of situations, he HP hook really works well...

As for the metal clip cutting the line, I have never even heard of that happening. My cousin Joey uses them exclusively, and he's never had any problems with the line getting cut. I guess I'm trying to say "I wouldn't worry about that happening".
Brendan C.
JoeM

Hook for Magnum Tubes

Post by JoeM »

BC- I'll wait on line right after Frank. Always looking for another good hook. Isn't the R-bend another Grigsby creation?
JoeM
Good Fishing,