LURES, MOTORS, RODS, REELS, etc.

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Well, you guys have been talking about tackle and equipment on these boards, so I figure we better have a board dedicated to "Tackle & Equipment"... So, here it is... let's use it!

BC
Brendan C.
SFeely

Post by SFeely »

Brendan,
I am going to buy my first baitcasting reel, and I would like some help with the features. An example ad I is as follows: 1 piece frame, 6 ball bearing plus 2 roller bearings, adjustable 6 pin centrifugal brake, continuous anti reverse, adjustable magnetic cast control with a flipping button. What does all this mean, and what am I looking for exactly in a reel? Any help would be appreciated.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

SPF - Rather then get into all the details of the components of a real... I'd like to first help you answer a question you asked yourself:

"What am I looking for exactly in a reel?"

So with that said, what made you decide that you needed to purchase a baitcasting reel?

Once you answer that question, I can help you choose the right reel for the job. Here are a few things to think about:

1) What type of lure(s) do you intend to use with this new reel?
2) How will the lures be fished from a speed standpoint (i.e. Fast, Medium, Slow)
3) How often do you fish and how much stress do you think you will put on the tackle?
4) How much money can you afford to spend?

With these questions answered, you should be able to narrow down your choices... Most of things you exlpained (1 piece frame, 6 ball bearing plus 2 roller bearings, adjustable 6 pin centrifugal brake, continuous anti reverse, adjustable magnetic cast control with a flipping button) are standard features for middle to upper quality reels. The main factor will be in the amount of "ball bearings" that the reel has in it. Usually the rule is "The more ball bearings you have, the smoother and tighter the reel will be".

Hope to hear from you soon...

Brendan
Brendan C.
SFeely

Post by SFeely »

Brendan,
I currently use a spinning reel, but I would like to use the baitcast reel for its speed, ie. 6:1. My intention is to use the reel for my lipless lures. I only get out a couple times a month, so I would perfer no to spend a lot of money, but I also don't want to buy something that is going to give me a problems. I would assume something in the $50 range, but I am open to options.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

SPF - This reel (Pflueger ® Summit ® Baitcast Reel)is probably the best quality you will find in your price range. It is on sale for $49.99 (Save $30.00) at Bass ProShops. You can click though this link and look up the reel:
http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet/ca ... 4804621816

With the Summit's new low-profile body design, you can add all-day palmable comfort to its long list of user-friendly features. As before, the Summit is very light in weight, thanks to its aluminum frame and gear-side cover and perforated forged-aluminum spool. Its 4-bearing system delivers quiet, almost fluid retrieves, with no hitching or hesitation. Also: adjustable 6-pin centrifugal brake, instant anti-reverse, flipping switch, quick-release side cover for easy cast control adjustments--all at a price far below what you'd expect to pay for this level of performance! Gear ratio: 6.3:1. Weight: 9.8 oz. Line capacity: 12 lbs./110 yds. Line recovery: 28" per handle turn.
Brendan C.
JoeM

Post by JoeM »

BC- Looking to use that BPS Gift Certificate for a reel that will not turn wimpy when I set the hook on a FL Bass. I guess that Pflueger Summit might be something to look at when I get over to BPS at Dania Beach, FL
next week. Gonna need a bargain after I get my new laptop.
Be well, JoeM
Good Fishing,
JoeM - Former Message Board Moderator