When the DragonFlys Are out

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
New Wave

Post by New Wave »

Durring the fishing season I always see fish doing full body extentions out of the water for Dragonflys. You definatly know the fish are active when you see this, when I get in this situation i try to throw tubes or jigs the same color as the DF's, If any of you guys were in the same situation, i was just wondering what you throw.... Also most of the guys here lib? just wonderin
- New Wave
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

We get a decent mix of guys here new wave. Texas, Florida, Penn, Cali, Connecticut...

As for the dragonflies, I usually don't try to match the hatch so to speak, but rather use it as a means of identifying the aggressiveness of the bass in that body of water or part of the lake, river, etc.

Anytime I see bass busting the surface for flies I'll usually flip those areas with a Jig N Pig, or a weightless worm or sluggo... Top waters can work too, but I found they have to be fished really slowly... Next time you’re in that situation, try throwing a perch or panfish colored Rapala... Cast it near the outer edges of the pads and just let it sit dead for as long as you can stand it... Than, let it sit for about 10 more seconds... When you've had enough, just give it the slightest twitch and repeat... IF they want it... you'll know in about 2 - 3 casts...
Brendan C.
SMbass

Post by SMbass »

A Spittin Image topwater works great when the bass are feeding on dragon flies during a summer day. Why they work? I dont know as they do not imitate a DF, but the do work very well. So does a small hula popper if your into fly-fishing
Tim Carini
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

If your'e lookin for a dragonfly lure, go here
https://www.hover-lure.com/index2.html
Its a little too goofy for me, but for you, Maybe it works.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
David Lengyel

Post by David Lengyel »

How I approch this situation is somewhat different. I pull out my old 8 weight fly rod with a LD Dragonfly (color to match the hatch) and start casting. The only problem is getting them out of the pads. It is tricky, but youll get the hang of it.

One quick story:

I was fishing the famous Swan Pond one summer day, and of course anybody who has ever fished it knows the Dragonfly population. I had just tied on a freshly tied fly, and started to cast. As soon as it landed I got a strike. Unfortunately he did not get hooked. So I made a return cast, and that fish was not going to let it get away a second time. About 2 seconds before it landed the fish slammed it. He actually jumped out of the water to hit it. Sure enough after a short battle I got him in. He only went 12 inches, but that is one fish, and experience I will never forget.

Lunker Dave
AKO

Post by AKO »

I took some advise from Mark from LIB last year when I told him about all these dragon flies that were driving the bass crazy @ Swan Lake also! He told me to try throwing a small Micro Munch jig in orange and black. He said the bass would literally jump clear out of the water to hit em'. Well no doubt later that season I did just that at a different lake and the same results. Cool as hell to watch these fish come clear out of the water to slam these little jigs. They are ultra small so I think they matched the hatch perfectly. Try it one day... you will love it!