Swimbait Recommendations

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
brendanc

Swimbait Recommendations

Post by brendanc »

I wanted to see if I could get some recommendations on swimbaits from all you west coast guys (and any one else who has a favorite).

There are a couple of lakes that I fish here in the Northeast that are stocked with trout (Rainbow, brown, brook, etc.). They are clear, deep lakes with a very good population of lunker bass. I have had fish up to 6 lbs in a these lakes, but I have seen much bigger fish at various times of the year. In my quest to target these bigger bass, I feel that a trout replica swimbait might be one way to go.

I have been looking at the Huddleston Swimbait:

Here's my dilemma, they come in four different "rates of fall"; Floating (O'), 5', 12' 16'.

In your experience when trying to mimic a trout and trigger strikes from larger bass, what do you feel the most common depth range would be (if any) of the choices given above? I am aware that the time of year, water temp and other variables will impact the preferred depth range, so please feel free to elaborate. (I.e. Spring - 5', early summer "floating", Fall 16', etc.)

Also, other recommended swimbaits you may have, or general information related to what you look for in a swimbait (size, colors, action, etc.)

Until now, I have only used swimbait consistently in salt water. I am looking forward to any input you guys may have on this subject and I'm hopeful that some other people reading these boards may benefit from this topic.

Thanks,
BC
Brendan C.
brendanc

Swimbait Recommendations

Post by brendanc »

I was reading this information on Huddleston's website and I thought it may help to spark some discussion:

Big Bait Theory
SLOW MOVING BIG BAITS
(WHY THEY WORK)

It is my contention that a mature Largemouth will consume the most calories per calorie expended. In other words,, the wiser, heavier Largemouth, consumes the largest, fattest, high-calorie meal while burning the least amount of calories.

Three factors:

1. Fatty (high-calorie) meal
2. Average large portion
3. Expending little energy to feed

So we have three questions.

1. What fatty meal is readily available?
2. What is the largest size of that readily available meal?
3. How do Bass expend the minimum energy catching that meal?

For the west we know the answer to the first question. The evidence is undeniable. Stocked Rainbow Trout is the answer. It is questions two and three that need some thought.

How big is big to a Largemouth?

Some studies show that a Largemouth can safely eat 1/3 of its body weight in one gulp. I witnessed this one year at The Fred Hall Show. A regular feature of the show is "The Bass Bin". A giant aquarium stocked with local Bass by The Department of Fish and Game. Another attraction at the show is the Trout pond for kids. (A dough-boy pool full of hatchery Trout.) It was during the Ventura Show, that a colorful guy that goes by the name of "Crazy Rick", decided that since it was the last day of the show that the Bass, being from Lake Casitas and used to a fatty meal, were probably hungry. Since the Trout that were left were a little peaked why not put them to good use.

I was standing near the Bass Bin, when I heard the comotion. I turned just in time to see "Crazy Rick" breaking through the crowd like an N.F.L. fullback busting through the line. He was running for open field, only the football he was carrying was a scoop-net full of Trout. As soon as "Crazy Legs Rick" hit the end-zone and spiked the Trout in the bin, the feeding frenzy began.

There were a handful of Bass over 10 lbs. another half-dozen 4-9 pounders and another dozen weighing 2-3 lbs. We expected to see the bigger Bass eat Trout, but what was amazing was to watch the 2 and 3 lb. Bass eat 9 - 10" Trout. They would swim along side the Trout and suddenly grab the Trout by the back of the head or throat, with the tail hanging to either side. For several minutes they swam around the bin holding the Trout in this manner. In time, somehow without letting go, they turned the Trout headfirst and started creeping it down their throat a little at a time. The bigger fish inhaled a few Trout right away and were kicking back while the little guys swam for hours with a Trout tail hanging out of their mouth. As time went on the Trout tail slowly disappeared.
I had caught 2 and 3 lb. Bass before on the big baits but, thought that in the act of being mean they accidentally hooked themselves. After the "Crazy Rick" episode I really gave the "eating 1/3 of its body weight" study a serious thought. I'm not sure if I believe that a three pound Bass can eat a 1 pound Blue Gill but, I know it will eat a 1 pound Trout.

So that brings us back to the question, how big is a big meal? In the world of "The Dapartment of Fish and Game Trout Stocking Program", 8-13" is about as big as readily available gets. A Bass 12 lbs. or more will be looking for several of these in one feeding session.

The final factor, expending as little energy as possible catching it's meal.

I've spoke to as many fisherman that I know of that have caught fish over 17 lbs. and there is one common thread that runs through most accounts. They were fishing slow. Keep in mind that relatively speaking, these Bass are morbidly obese.* The last thing they want to do is get in a swimming match with a one pound Trout. I assume they would prefer to ambush an unsuspecting slow-swimming, or feeding Trout. This would get the most calories for the least calories expended.

The 8" was made to be fished as slow as possible and designed with this theory in mind.

1. Rainbow Trout (fatty, high-calorie)
2. 8" (large portion)
3. Slow moving (little energy expended)

**I am referring to the morbidly obese, not the healthy, athletic, 8 - 10 lb Bass that we commonly see chasing Trout on the surface.

Article Source
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Swimbait Recommendations

Post by Roboworm99 »

Im no swimbait expert, yet But the hudd is one of the best out there.. I use the ROF 5, since I can't buy alot of them...it's the most versatile...It really comes down to what depth your fishing. the rof 5 lets you fish near the surface, or you can let it sink.

I am hoping to get the BBZ1 soon, so once I can start throwing that I will let you know.

The Mattlures Bluegill and Baby Bass are awesome baits as well. I lost my Baby Bass on a Snag

I still throw the original AC Plugs as wake baits, deadly in low light conditions.

Mission Swimbait is another great bait, rigged weedless, you can throw back in some nasty stuff and not get hung up. you can fish with a straight retrieve..hop along the bottom...let it sit on the bottom...then twitch it up, deadly technique

A bait I have been using alot of lately is the Money Lures Paddle Tail..an incredible bait, especially for the cost and the versatility. You can very the depth by the weight of your falcon hook.

Hope this helps a bit.
**Ray Charpentier**
Roboworm99

Swimbait Recommendations

Post by Roboworm99 »

Also check out swimbaitnation.com...excellent site, top sticks out here can help you out even more then me..word of advise..once you start throwing the big baits...hard to throw anything else...

also, just remember once your baits gets hit, dont set the hook...just keep cranking and you will nail em...

one last thing...and excellent video to watch is big bait posse..you will be amazed what some of these guys can do out here...
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Swimbait Recommendations

Post by brendanc »

Thanks for the info Geo... I really like those Matt lures (they represent most of the forage where I fish). The whole nose down weighting system seems like the perfect choice for triggering those big females to strike during the spawn.

Any other Cali guys have some suggestions?

Thanks,
BC
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Swimbait Recommendations

Post by Roboworm99 »

Geo? or Robo?
**Ray Charpentier**
Roboworm99

Swimbait Recommendations

Post by Roboworm99 »

Ya the Matt lures are the best Bluegill Bait...I stil have some of the orginal Castaic Sunfish in both sizes..they are floaters with a diving lip..they still work great..but for fliing on a bed or for cranking the Matts Bluegill..is awesome
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Swimbait Recommendations

Post by brendanc »

LMAO! I got my "O's" mixed up. Sorry Robo! This is what happens when you read to many posts in a short period of time!
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Swimbait Recommendations

Post by Roboworm99 »

No prob...i know us Cali guys are all alike
**Ray Charpentier**
BassFreak

Swimbait Recommendations

Post by BassFreak »

I'm not a big swimbait guy, I rarely throw them but they are fun to fish, its like you already have fish on the line every cast.. hehe.. As for recommendations, Since I am a novice at this also, I stick with the simple but proven ones.

1. 22nd Century Triple Trout
2. Huddleston
3. BBZ1
4. AC plug or Osprey.

I chose these swimbaits so I could cover all strata of water. remember it is still just a presentation, for it to be effective, you still have to throw it and work it with the right conditions, area, retrieve etc.. etc...

The Huddleston is unbeatable for slow rolling off botton or even dead sticking, So I chose a ROF 12, or ROF 5 depending on how fast you want to fish/swim it. Lots of info online on how to rig it but I like the stinger hook way most.

The Triple Trout Is a great reaction bait. It has wicked action to it and depending on how you manipulate your rod, you can make it swim in an S pattern, Z pattern and/or even turn around to take a peek so to speak. I love the 7" ones but all sizes are effective. IF I had to chose 1 swimbait, This would have to be my FAVORITE!!!

I use the AC and Osprey for top. Not much to add here as its fairly simple. If you have stripers in your area these baits can be a whole lot of fun.

The BBZ's I use for the in-betweens, Sometimes you just have to change it up and the BBZ's have the flexibility for this.

Although it opposes what we have learned with "matching the hatch" Trout Swimbaits have been very effective even in places where there is NO TROUT. Dont be shy to throw these things all over the country..
The Empty Can Rattles The Most...