Help with jig and pig

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
MbBass

Help with jig and pig

Post by MbBass »

Can you cast a jig and pig or is it best just to flip and pitch.And can you add any trailer like a craw or frog.Also can you mismatch the colors say black and red jig and a green craw or do you want to stay within the same colors so it looks natural?thanx for the help.So much to learn and not enuff time.Tryin to cram this all in before spring gets here.
Roboworm99

Help with jig and pig

Post by Roboworm99 »

Yes you can cast them...just make sure not to purchase jigs designed for flipping...these jigs are not desinged for lighter lines and rods...it would be very difficult to get a good hook set..you need the fine wire thats on a casting jig.

As far as colors and trailers...you can mix and match...but for me personally, I do not..not very natural...i tried to keep with the same hues on jigs and trailers...

My most common color combos are:
Black/Blue Jig with a Blue Trailer
Purple/Brown Jig with a Purple trailer
Brown/Orange Jig with a Pumkin Trailer
Green Pumpkin Jig with a Green Pumkin Trailer
**Ray Charpentier**
MbBass

Help with jig and pig

Post by MbBass »

Does it say for casting or fliping? I am new to this, but i catch on quick and i am reading all i can. i cast out every chance i get, and alwayz learning.I see fishing is alot like surfing. Its a focus type thing that slows everything down.But thanx for the help.
brendanc

Help with jig and pig

Post by brendanc »

Good advise from Roboworm.

I'll add one additional piece of info regarding the color aspect. Miss-matching colors has its place and can be deadly. If I ever showed a picture of the jig I have been throwing lately, you would probably puke! It has 5 colors in it, 3 in the skirt and two in the trailer.... but it only seems to work in a specific combination where I live.

That's not the part I wanted to add but oh well, I did anyway. Here is what I wanted to share. If you want the jig to have a lrager appearence, make sure that your jig skirt and trailer are the same color. If you want it to appear to be smaller, use a different color trailer than your skirt.
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Help with jig and pig

Post by Roboworm99 »

Originally Posted By: MbBassDoes it say for casting or fliping? I am new to this, but i catch on quick and i am reading all i can. i cast out every chance i get, and alwayz learning.I see fishing is alot like surfing. Its a focus type thing that slows everything down.But thanx for the help.

Yes the Jigs label or name will tell you if its for casting or flipping
**Ray Charpentier**
George Cawthorn

Help with jig and pig

Post by George Cawthorn »

Can't help much Robo cause I'm just learning to use the jigs myself.

I do have a sidetrack question though, besides sticking with a mixed or matched presentation.... Do you guys prefer the silicon or rubber skirted jigs?

Good fishing to ya, later......... geobass
Roboworm99

Help with jig and pig

Post by Roboworm99 »

Geo do you mean MbBass?

Most of mine are Rubber.

Some of my newer ones are Silicone, which i tend to use in clear water, only because of the colors available.
**Ray Charpentier**
George Cawthorn

Help with jig and pig

Post by George Cawthorn »

Whoooops! Yeah I slipped on the starter. Sorry bout that Roboworm.

Hey the other thing I was thinking about is what kind of line do you guys think is best for fishing some of the smaller jigs in relatively clear water like we see at Castaic?

Thanks......... geobass
Roboworm99

Help with jig and pig

Post by Roboworm99 »

For me I use Fluoro
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Help with jig and pig

Post by brendanc »

I also like flouro for the smaller jigs in clear open water, however, I will share a quick story:

Me and a couple of fishing buddies were able to take my 16' Alumicraft (electric only) to a local pond a couple of weeks ago before the ponds froze here on Long Island. We all brought spinning gear, I was the only one who had a bait caster. It was spooled with moss green braid and I direct tied a 3/16 oz jig to the braid. Last time out on this lake, I had an insane day on the "Ugly Jig" that I mentioned above. 5 best went over 23lbs, not B.S. every bass was weighed on a digital which I use for culling in tournaments and is always within 1/2 lbs from the tournament scale. Big fish that day was 6lbs 4oz and was taken to a certified scale for my club's lunker tournament (I won this year with this bass):

On the trip we took a couple of weeks ago (using braid this time) water temps were in the mid-upper 40's and a front was moving in. The two guys I was fishing with started with dropshots, and after that last time out with the Ugly Jig, I had to give it a shot. First cast produced a solid 4+ lb bass. 10 minutes later, her twin jumped on the Ugly Jig. By the end of the day, I caught 11 bass on the ugly jig and the 5 best went around 17lbs and change.

This lake is crystal clear and the bass were sitting on the edge of the first drop near the deepest area of the pond with the fastest tapering banks. The bass didn't seem to care very much about the braid and the other two anglers were fishing flouro and only landed 3 bass between the two of them. So it raises a question... how much does line matter? Perhaps it is simply that at certain times under certain conditions, line visibility is more of a factor than at other times?

BC
Brendan C.