Braided Line

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
usc2u2

Braided Line

Post by usc2u2 »

Anybody having problems with Braided Line burying it self on the spool. I fish alot of topwater with very long cast, once I hook up the line digs in deep. On the next cast i have knots you wouldn't believe.
Champion 198cx / Mercury 225 pro xs
johnnie crain outdoors

Braided Line

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

225 Pro XS, sorry, but I never use braided lines for topwaters-braided lines sink and inhibit the topwater lure. I think your problem may be in setting the hook too hard. With braids it's best to just sweep the rod, not cross their eyes so to speak. Hope this helps. Johnnie Crain
Johnnie Crain
brendanc

Braided Line

Post by brendanc »

Hi 225 Pro XS,

Here's a quick tip that might help a little. It is not perfect, but it helps. You can do this in your yard and it works for both baitcasting and spinning reels.

Tie off the end of your braid to something and walk off the same amount of line that you would normally have out when casting your topwater lure. Now walk back another 30-40 feet (this will vary based on the diameter of your spool. Use a piece of "Electrical Tape" and make a full pass around your spool so that it covers all of the groves. Reel back in your braid and now you have a stopping point to prevent the braid from digging in.

Like I said, it's not perfect, but it will reduce this problem.

Hope this helps...

BC
Brendan C.
kspringer

Braided Line

Post by kspringer »

Another tip that works well for me, is to use a cheap 20# monoline and spool it on your reel until it is about half full, then spool on your braid. The mono serves as a backing and will help prevent the braid from digging in. Hope this helps.
usc2u2

Braided Line

Post by usc2u2 »

Thank You for your input, but, I was always under the impression that braided line floats? To a certain extent anyway? Mono sinks slowly and fluor sinks faster. Depending on line dia. etc.. I like the fact of no stretch in the braided lines. I'm able to do some amazing things with a topwater on braid, just having a problem with it digging in. I have thought of useing electrical tape on the spool til about half full. Then spooling my braid but 20# mono would work just as good. Probably easier than tape.
Thank You again for your input. I'll let you know how this all pans out.
Fish-N-Fool

Braided Line

Post by Fish-N-Fool »

The braided line I use floats like a cork so I don't know where Johnnie is coming from there. I also use the tape method at just over 1 cast length but I also always back my braid with mono. Make sure you use a doubble uni knot to join the lines.
I only put on about 3 cast lengths of braid on and I never have that problem. The tape works good for stopping backlashes on not so perfect casts also. That said I use mono for most of my topwater stuff except when I'm throwing into heavy cover or pads.
usc2u2

Braided Line

Post by usc2u2 »

Thanks FNF for the clarification on braid floating, For a minute I thought I had lost my mind, or at least a brain [censored]. Spooling with mono could really save money in the long run also. I'll let you know how it works out. Any websites on how to tie a double uni knot?
brendanc

Braided Line

Post by brendanc »

Here the link you are looking for:

Double Uni knot - from Fintalk.com

Brendan C.
usc2u2

Braided Line

Post by usc2u2 »

Thank You. I found this online. hope this helps others. This is animated. Happy knotting
http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishi ... dknots.com
brendanc

Braided Line

Post by brendanc »

That's a great website... it's always the first place I recommend when people ask about knots... they have the uni-knot, but not the double uni-knot.
Brendan C.