What about your Truck!

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
BTwizy

What about your Truck!

Post by BTwizy »

Hey everyone Im new and I can see myself becoming a leech and suck up all the info I can get from u guys. But how can I give back? I'm not much help with the fishing but just maybe I can answer questions about that thing pullin your bass boat around.

I have 6 ASE Certs and have recently been certified to service the new 2008 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid. Yes chevys are my specialty but I work on everything. So feel free to ask anything and we will see what shakes loose!
brendanc

What about your Truck!

Post by brendanc »

Isn't life funny... I just started looking into the Chevy Tahoe Hybrids. I own a Chevy Suburban and have been thinking of either buying a new one, or getting the hybrid.

I guess the main question would be what is the towing capacity of the Tahoe Hybrid? From what you have learned, are there any issues with towing power?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brendan
Brendan C.
BTwizy

What about your Truck!

Post by BTwizy »

Vehicle
Axle Ratio
Maximum Trailer Weight
*GCWR

2WD 6.0 L V8
6,200 lbs (2 812 kg)
12,000 lbs (5 443 kg)

4WD 6.0 L V8
6,000 lbs (2 721 kg)
12,000 lbs (5 443 kg)

*The Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the total allowable weight of the completely loaded vehicle and trailer including any passengers, cargo, equipment and conversions. The GCWR for your vehicle should not be exceeded.

I hope this makes sinse to you lol I have heard of no issues with towing. The 2007 2008 models do not come with an electric brake control pigtail which you will have to get aftermarket.

Ok here is the beauty of this machine. From 0-25 mph your are in full electric mode. This machine has 2 300v ac motors in the transmission. An ac motor is going to be more powerful and more efficient than anything u got under the hood. So from a stop this baby is gona pull anything u got. In 4 low it is also fully electric... This thing has more voltage than your house!!!. Towing power is not an issue. Then under the hood u got a 6.0 liter v8 which is bigger than whats in your suburban! To top it all off your getting better gas milage.

Chevy started out by putting the hybrid system in allison busses somewhere in Cali in 2003. So Id say they got alot of the bugs worked out...But once again it is a new platform and only time will tell on the reliability of these components. However chevy backs the hybrid components with aN 8 YR 120,000 (I could be wrong on the milage) warrenty.

I know you might be saying "well its only a 6 or 7 mpg improvement" But the beauty of this system is that unlike "other car companies" Chevy didnt put there hybrids in these little tiny cars. They put it in some of the biggest vehicles they make. Once this system is put into say a chevy cobalt...sky is the limit. I am in love with thus system if you cant tell.
brendanc

What about your Truck!

Post by brendanc »

Thanks looking forward to some more info...
Brendan C.
BTwizy

What about your Truck!

Post by BTwizy »

You know I dont sell um but the a/c electric motors that they got in this machine are huge. U slap a tow package on one of these things and Id say your set for anything. one drawback Ive noticed is all of the safety percautions they take. Make no mistake 300v will fry you. Say u get in a little fender bender. In a normal car ud prolly exchange info and be on your way. But with these, if a crash sensor was triggerd.. the hpcm "Hybrid power control module" is going to disable the whole system so that a tech can make sure the cables carrying 300v are not damaged. Yes that means a tow to the nearest dealership. There are many many things can make the hpcm disable the whole system But with that much voltage... u gotta be safe.
brendanc

What about your Truck!

Post by brendanc »

That's important to know... especially if you are towing a boat because now you have to have the whole rig towed away. That would really be bite! Seems like a small thing, but for me that just turned me off to the whole hybrid concept... I'm glad I asked about it.

So now it's back to the Tahoe -vs- Suburban. I like the extra room that I have with the Suburban. It really comes in handy when fishing tournaments and traveling. Have you heard any pros/cons about the 2008 models of these two?

Thanks,
Brendan
Brendan C.
BTwizy

What about your Truck!

Post by BTwizy »

I cant say Ive heard pros or cons about either vehicle. I love umm both and U know your basically getting the same thing with each vehicle... At least as far as your powertrain is concerned. Basically "how much room do u want" If you need the room then Suburban all the way.
brendanc

What about your Truck!

Post by brendanc »

I hear you... had to ask, you never know what changes from one year to the next. Thanks for all the info!
Brendan C.
BTwizy

What about your Truck!

Post by BTwizy »

Ill tell ya what get ya is all the options available on these vehicles. From navigation to onstar to your powertrain packages... that the toughy.... pickin out what is going to suit your needs.

I didnt think about having to get a your vehicle and bassboat towed that would bite lol. The two wheel drive model of the hybrid cant be towed with its rear wheels on the ground!!!

Im glad I posted about the cons of the hybrid there. A sales guy ant gona tell you that. If there is even the slightest hint of a problem with the high voltage side the HPCM is shuttin down the whole system! So Umm yeah u didnt hear that from me!
MbBass

What about your Truck!

Post by MbBass »

Welcome to the board. That truck sounds great. I pull a big double axle trailer with pressure washing skid on it.