797C Humminbrd Question

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
Gitzet

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by Gitzet »

Hope you guys can help me out. I'm going to by a new 797C Humminbird Sidefinder, but I'm not sure I really want the external antenna.

Is there any real reason why I should stay away from the internal antenna model - 797C2i?

Any other thoughts regarding the 797 would be appreciated.

I'd like to go with the larger units, but I'm pretty sure the smaller 797C will be just fine for me.

Thanks
brendanc

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by brendanc »

Hi Gitzet,

Welcome to the site. I haven't heard much about the internal antennas, perhaps one of our Prostaff members (Don House) might have some info on them. As for the external ones, it gives you the option to place the puck (antenna) away from the unit itself. You might ask "why would I want to do this"? It really comes down to preference and only pertains to GPS and waypoints. If you have the puck located right next to your unit, that's where your boat will be when you want to return to that same spot later. If your unit and puck are at your console, must remember that you will be sitting right on top of your weigh point and what ever structure you have marked. Some people like to put the puck up by the trolling motor, so when they mark a weigh point and return, they know that the structure will be directly under the trolling motor. Like I said before, more of a preference.

What size boat do you have? I have a Skeeter ZX225 that is a little over 20' in length. My puck is external and located at the console next to my Humminbird 997. I also have a Lowrance LMS 527c IGPS at the bow near the trolling motor. I mark different weigh point for the same area. One set of marks on the Humminbird is used to get me into position to "approach" the structure with my trolling motor, while the other marks on the lowrance are used for orientation while I am actually fishing the structure or object. Again this is my preference and it may not work well for you, but it at least gets you thinking about the way you fish and would like to approach the structure and objects you mark with your GPS.

I'll wait to hear back from you and we can discuss this some more.

Glad to have you on the site...
thanks for posting

Brendan
Brendan C.
TableRockGuide

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by TableRockGuide »

Gits, the 797 is a really nice unit for the buck, works well and has great screens pictures. As far as the Internal or external GPS puck it really does not matter, I have used both and they work well.. I like the external unit myself but I also really use my GPS alot, I even have two on my boat, one for the back and one for the front. The back I use for finding items and marking them. The front I use for staying on top of something, but I do a ton of deep water fishing and need to stay on top of trees, brush piles ect.. Another reason I liked the Internal use I did not have to drill holes in my boat to mount it and I also sell my boat every year and sometimes they do not want the electronics so I would have to take them off.

Anyway if you have any more questions just place a post on here and I will get you some answers. Ok gotta go have a trip out this morning..

Good Fishing Everyone

Capt. Don
Capt. Don House: Bassin' USA Prostaff : Missouri

Capt. Don House
Branson Fishing Guide Service
Table Rock Lake, Branson Mo.
USCG Licensed and Insured
http://www.bransonfishingguideservice.com

Pro Staff for Bassin' USA, G3 Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Humminbird Electronics, Minnkota Trolling motors, Grandt Custom Rods, Center City Marine, JackAll, Ardent Reels and Thunder Struck Jigs
Gitzet

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by Gitzet »

Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I just bought the unit with the external antenna. I plan to mount it at the bow, and put the 797 on the small space I have next to my console on a 5" ram mount.

I have a Ranger 185 VX.

My next question is exactly where should I put the transducer? Thers's not much flat space on the stern that's square to rear of the boat, so I'm thinking the tranducer should be to the right-most lower corner of the stern. It seems like I should have good view to the left and right, even if i have to trim the motor a wee bit. Are there any pics of a Ranger tranducer mount that I can look at before I start drilling?

Thanks a bunch.
Gitzet

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by Gitzet »

I found a pic with a sidefinder transducer on a Ranger similar to mine.

Does this look good? It's quite similar to the placement I was proposing in my previous post.

797 transducer pic

Wadaya think?

Thanks
TableRockGuide

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by TableRockGuide »

Looks great, if you want you can go to http://www.groups.yahoo.com.. Look for the Sideimaging group, they have alot more pictures to look at as well. May give you some more ideals or other ways to do it..

Only thing if you fish a lake with alot of underwater trees that may not work. I have seen other guys mount them on a hanger off the of motor mount, lets it hang alittle higher but still down to see past the motor mount.. Take a look at that site you will see what I'm talking about..

Good Fishing

Capt. Don
Capt. Don House: Bassin' USA Prostaff : Missouri

Capt. Don House
Branson Fishing Guide Service
Table Rock Lake, Branson Mo.
USCG Licensed and Insured
http://www.bransonfishingguideservice.com

Pro Staff for Bassin' USA, G3 Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Humminbird Electronics, Minnkota Trolling motors, Grandt Custom Rods, Center City Marine, JackAll, Ardent Reels and Thunder Struck Jigs
brendanc

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by brendanc »

Not sure if you have enough room below your jack plate, but that is where mine is mounted... I have a skeeter though. I think Don's suggestion of checking with the folks on that SI forum would be a good idea.
Brendan C.
Gitzet

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by Gitzet »

Thanks! I don't have a jack plate, so the motor won't be coming down at all. I was planning on getting one someday, so I'll keep in mind that it could be a problem.

I'll check out the forum.

Thanks again.
Gitzet

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by Gitzet »

I hearing that some guys have had success installing external gps antennas (pucks) 'under cover' - under hatches, consoles, fiberglass, etc.

They say the only real issue might be the influence of metal-flake paint. Otherwise, a clean install under fiberglass/carpet should work fine. They also say you can test in advance by attaching with velcro and seeing how it goes.

Any thoughts regarding this approach?

Thanks
brendanc

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by brendanc »

Sounds like it would work, just wondering why you would want to hide it?
Brendan C.