797C Humminbrd Question

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
Gitzet

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by Gitzet »

That's a very fair question. Although my boat has ample fishing room, there is not that much room for electronics. Once I fill that small space next to my console with a sideimaging unit, there's only one spot left to place the new antenna (on the bow). If I could put it under the floor right behind the drivers seat 'under the fiberglass/carpet', I'd prefer to do that (if it works).

Make sense?

Guess I should have bought the internal antenna unit instead.

Sorry! I guess I have two topics working the same project. Installing my new 797C. Hope it's OK!

Thanks
brendanc

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by brendanc »

Hey no problem... I just merged it with the other topic. I never used that feature before, it works pretty good.

I guess it really comes down to "if it works", right? I have seen some guys mount it right on the back deck behind the driver's seat, but never under the carpet. They actually have the puck sitting on top of the carpet. It really doesn't get in the way for the guy in the back if you tuck it over to one side and behind the seat. Just something else you might want to consider trying.

I don't know much about the Humminbird IGPS, but I can tell you that my Lowrance IGPS does NOT work as good as the one I had with the puck. At the very least, I would think that you’re safer with a puck versus without one.

Anyone else out there have some feedback or input for Gitzit?
Brendan C.
Gitzet

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by Gitzet »

I'll be doing my installtion in the coming days. I'll share my pics with you guys. Thanks for your insights.
TableRockGuide

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by TableRockGuide »

Gitz, make sure you try the testing part first.. I loose my gps under bridges and even in some trees just about anything that blocks the sat view.. I would not recommend it myself.. Behind the seat is a great ideal, but try all of them.. But I would bet it will have to be out in the open.. Let us know how it works..

Don
Capt. Don House: Bassin' USA Prostaff : Missouri

Capt. Don House
Branson Fishing Guide Service
Table Rock Lake, Branson Mo.
USCG Licensed and Insured
http://www.bransonfishingguideservice.com

Pro Staff for Bassin' USA, G3 Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Humminbird Electronics, Minnkota Trolling motors, Grandt Custom Rods, Center City Marine, JackAll, Ardent Reels and Thunder Struck Jigs
brendanc

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by brendanc »

I'd have to agree with Don... I just wouldn't want to take the chance that it happens more frequently in a situation that you were not able to test...
Brendan C.
Gitzet

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by Gitzet »

After much back and forth, I decided to go with the external antenna mounted on the bow. I now have 2 antennas, one for the Garmin console mounted GPS/Sounder and the 797. I thought this was going to be an issue, but it all seems to have worked out just fine.

As promised, here's some pics of my install.

http://www.crabtownebassmasters.com/797C_Install.html

I do occasionally lose bottom on my tranducer at higher speeds. I've recently dropped the tranducer to see if I get more stability. I hope that fixes that problem.

I have had a chance to use the 797 side imaging - WOW!

I have discovered several logs, laydowns, drops and structure. In one case, I found a huge laydown at creek entrance that I did not know existed. I did not see fish, but I fished it for a few minutes and caught two fish and lost one. Wow!

Now I'm hoping nobody else makes the investment.

brendanc

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by brendanc »

Gitzit,

Nice clean install! Man, I'm going to have you come do mine next time!

Happy to hear everything worked out well. As for the bottom readings, crank up your ping speed and scroll rate under your sonar settings. That should help a little, but depending on how fast your boat goes, you still might lose the bottom... I do

Last comment: In the words of Don House "Welcome to the world of side imaging". There was a movie years ago with Robert Redford called "sneakers"... if you ever saw the movie, you might recall the line "no more secrets"... that's what SI brings to the table. If it is in the lake, you can find it and quickly!

Best of luck with the new unit...

Brendan
Brendan C.
TableRockGuide

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by TableRockGuide »

Nice installation, very professional looking.. Make sure you psot these pictures on the yahoo.sideimaging.com, add them to the installation folders..

Next on the loosing the bottom at high speeds, well these are not really made for high speed reading, they do make a better transducer just for that, but it cost $$$$... Really, to get a good look at everything slow speed is the best. If you are wanting to read bottom at high speeds, then buy a flasher and mount in place of the garmin unit..

Now we need to get rid of that unit on the front and get you a new Humminbird 787 on the front, then network them together for a really great electonics package!!

Great job enjoy and good fishing

Capt. Don
Capt. Don House: Bassin' USA Prostaff : Missouri

Capt. Don House
Branson Fishing Guide Service
Table Rock Lake, Branson Mo.
USCG Licensed and Insured
http://www.bransonfishingguideservice.com

Pro Staff for Bassin' USA, G3 Boats, Yamaha Outboards, Humminbird Electronics, Minnkota Trolling motors, Grandt Custom Rods, Center City Marine, JackAll, Ardent Reels and Thunder Struck Jigs
Gitzet

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by Gitzet »

Brendon & Don,

Thanks.

One last question - that's what i always say -

If I did upgrade to the 787, I'm figuring I can network to the antenna, but I'm not sure if I'll network to the Navionics charts in my 797 or if I'll need to buy the charts for the new unit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
brendanc

797C Humminbrd Question

Post by brendanc »

That's one for Don... I know you can share waypoints, but not sure about maps. I think you can with Humminbird units...

Don, Can you shed some light?
Brendan C.