Large Swimbaits

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
ronlehman909

Large Swimbaits

Post by ronlehman909 »

Tips on using the large swimbaits from anyone? I just purchased the Reaction Strike Companies Bass Harasser in the 7" California Trout design with a medium fall rate. The lure looks very life-like in the water and the price is about 1/2 of the more well known lures. Also has a Frog hook on the belly of the trout and an eyelet on top for a stinger hook if one wanted to attach. When my local lake starts stocking trout in November I plan on throwing this around the lake.
Bass Harasser

If you have had success with this lure I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
Roboworm99

Large Swimbaits

Post by Roboworm99 »

I personally don't care to much for Reaction Strike baits. I tried them, didn't like the action or the quality of the bait. The old adage, you get what you pay for. I have given or sold alot of baits, to make room in my box for ones that do. For that style bait, boot tail...The Hudd is the best. I have tried Alan Coles version (their first try) and it's ok...nowhere near as good as the Hudd, it looks good though. AC Plugs is coming out with an improved version, so we will see how that goes.
**Ray Charpentier**
ronlehman909

Large Swimbaits

Post by ronlehman909 »

I appreciate your passion for the Hudd. Do you have any tips on how to fish these large baits? I have been throwing it out and letting it settle to the bottom in roughly 30 feet of water. After waiting for 15-30 seconds reeling it in a a steady medium to slow retreive. Are there other ways that you have found successful? As the weather cools I plan on working closer to the shoreline. I was thinking of positioning my float tube about 20 feet off shore in 15-20 foot waters and throwing the lure parallel to the shoreline and trying this approach. What's your thoughts?
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
Roboworm99

Large Swimbaits

Post by Roboworm99 »

Follow Butch You fish the Goon right?

I like the Hudd...but I have done better on the Castaic Platinum.

This time of year the swimbait bite is tough...its not a matter of chucking and winding...you need to find ambush points for the bass, be it grass, rock, etc...you really need to work it slow, bounce it off the bottom and let it sit...work it like a jig.

as the trout plants start then go to the methods you are using.

in the mornings you may get a few early fish waking the bait...best to have a floater and let it sit for a long time...me i dont have the patience to do it...i get to pumped up...so i will usually go to other baits....but if you have the patience, it can be deadly...look for ambush structure and fire the bait and let it float...you will have fish sit under and just look it...the waves and natural current will move the bait...give it a twitch...and then hold on...
**Ray Charpentier**
ronlehman909

Large Swimbaits

Post by ronlehman909 »

I do fish the Goon.

When you suggest a floater would a Yo-Zuri or a large Rapala work? Is that the type of lure you are suggesting?

I'll give it a try. Like you after awhile I get impatient as well and start looking for more action lures.

What happened to Manny? He used to come out all the time but haven't seen him since Spring. He said he was possibly moving to Texas.
Ron Lehman
[email protected]
Roboworm99

Large Swimbaits

Post by Roboworm99 »

Floater as in a Hudd 0...each swimbait manufacturer makes a float, slow sink or fast sink. There are also wake baits.
**Ray Charpentier**
swimbait101

Large Swimbaits

Post by swimbait101 »

see if you get you hands on a floater bbz-1 they deatroy wolf pack if you a re in the right spot

got one on it at the lagoon
Roboworm99

Large Swimbaits

Post by Roboworm99 »

way to go swimbait
**Ray Charpentier**
swimbait101

Large Swimbaits

Post by swimbait101 »

go swimbaits