Favorite Swimbait

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
swimbait101

Favorite Swimbait

Post by swimbait101 »

hello, i want to see what are your guys favorite swimbaits aare
Roboworm99

Favorite Swimbait

Post by Roboworm99 »

Lots of variables in that question..

Conditions, cover, time of day, season...

There are many types of swimbaits...all made for different conditions...
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Favorite Swimbait

Post by brendanc »

I'll go out on a limb here because to date, my success with swimbaits has been limited in fresh water... For me, the new Keitech "Swing Impact" is the only one I have used that produces both quality and quantity of bass consistantly. Keep in mind that I am new to this world, so I'm sure like Robo stated "there's a time a place for each one"... I guess what I am saying is that the Swing Impact seems to work regardless of conditions and can be rigged in many ways. Don't take my word for it, ask GeoBass... he just finished a product review on them, which I will be posting as soon as he gives me the finally "OK".

BC
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Favorite Swimbait

Post by Roboworm99 »

Dead-sticking: Huddleston ROF 0
Castaic Platinum Floater

Waking MS Slammer
Castaic Platinum Floater or Slow Sink
3:16 Mighty Minnow
Jackall Mikey

Chuck & Wind: Triple Trout
Huddleston ROF 5
Castaic Platinum Slow Sink
Spro BBZ Trout and Shad
River2Sea Kong
Baitsmith
Matt Lures Trout and Gill
Lake Fork Magic Shad
Castaic Original Hard Head Series

Heavy Cover: 3:16 Mission Fish
Lake Fork Magic Shad

Bottom Bouncing: 3:16 Mission Fish
River2Sea Bottom Walker
MattLure Bluegill

Paddle Tail: Basstrix
Berkley Hollow
Money Minnow

Now overall and the bait I have caught the most fish on, is the Castaic Platinum. I have yet to throw the Rock Hard Series. They do have a new series called the Catch22 which comes out in December, I can’t wait. Also, I would love to try the Sebile and the Tru-Tungsten Line.
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Favorite Swimbait

Post by brendanc »

Alright, here come all the questions Robo...

On the Castaic Platinum, which color do you prefer, Dark Rainbow, Japan Rainbow or Rainbow Trout?

When compared to the Huddleston deluxe, what (in your opinion) makes the Castaic Platinum produce more strikes?

Matt Lures, or as I like to call them "Dead Lures"... aside from throwing them into spawning beds, what's the deal with the bluegills? I have tried swimming them, but they just don't move well. They seem to float to the surface and roll over alot (hense the "dead lures" comment). Are there any tips you can give on how to make the Matt Lures bluegill come to life, or perhaps you could just go into some more detail on what equipment you use (type of line, rod, reel, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your input...

BC
Brendan C.
brendanc

Favorite Swimbait

Post by brendanc »

Hey is this the new one you are talking about, Castaic Rock Hard Platinum?

Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Favorite Swimbait

Post by Roboworm99 »

Ok as far as colors go, it comes down to confidence. You can match the hatch, ie light colored trout if planters are light in color or if no trout present use a baby bass pattern. I have caught bass on trout colors when no trout are present or ever have been. I think it really comes down to visibility. That being said, the best color as far as numbers goes, has been the light colored trout for me.

As far as Hudd vs Plat..2 different actions..Plat has that S motion swimming and Hudd has a boot tail. It might come down to water displacement. I have had days where the Hudd outfished the Plat. But have had more days where the Plat has outfished the Hudd. It's funny because I going through some data I track
to see which worked better and why, is it the conditons, water clarity etc..so that is still being debated by me. The Hudd swims more like a trout and I have noticed in clear water, it has caught more fish than the Plat.

Now with the Mattlures gill..is the tail perfectly straight? If not it won't swim straight, but the bait can be fixed by placing the lower half of the bait in boiling water for a minute or so.
then dipping in cold water so it cools and then hang the bait from the line tie so the tail wont kink. I use and have noticed the bait swims better on 15# fluoro than on heavy mono. If you still have problems contact Matt, he stands behind his baits.
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Favorite Swimbait

Post by brendanc »

Got it... great tips. I believe you just solved my problem, because I remember thinking it was odd that the tail would be curved/bent when I took it out of the package (especially at that price).

What are your thoughts on using braided line with the big Hudd? I only ask because the hook is so big, it seems like it would be difficult to get a good hook set with mono or even fluoro...
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Favorite Swimbait

Post by Roboworm99 »

No braid with a soft plastic bait...It will slice your bait.

Heavy mono, 20# and up and heavy rod will bury the hook.
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Favorite Swimbait

Post by brendanc »

I bought a G-Loomis Swimbait rod, but that does not have a lot of backbone for setting the hook... at least not as much as I would like. I'll need to give the fluoro a try next...
Brendan C.