I got a leaky rivet.

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
BTwizy

I got a leaky rivet.

Post by BTwizy »

Took my new boat out the other day and she held up pretty good. Only 1 leaky rivet! I've done alot of riveting on cars but never messed with a boat. Was wondering if any of u guys have done this. The rivet on the boat looks alot diffrent then the rivets I get at work, most notably there is no dimple at the end where the shaft breaks off.

I guess my main question is if any old rivet will work or if I have to get a special,water tight rivet. Thx in advance for any help!

Oh and should Iuse any sealent? Figured I ask....worse case senerio ima just JB weld the sucker lol.

ukey28

I got a leaky rivet.

Post by ukey28 »

Before you start with sealants try having a buddy push a sledge hammer head against the rivet on the outside of the boat while you give the rivet a couple of firm raps on the inside to compress it a bit. That will usually stop the leak. The guy on the outside just pushes the hammerhead tight to the rivet. The guy on the inside gives it the raps.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

I got a leaky rivet.

Post by brendanc »

And if you want to have a little fun, tell your buddy to also hold your side with his finger... then give it a good whack! (Please don't I'm only joking)
Brendan C.
BTwizy

I got a leaky rivet.

Post by BTwizy »

A couple raps with the hammer sealed her up nice. Thx for all the advice guys!
brendanc

I got a leaky rivet.

Post by brendanc »

Frankie comes through with the quick fix!
Brendan C.