Increase your hook-up ratio with buzz frogs

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

Either buzz frogs or Zoom Toads should have better % hook-ups with the use of this hook. I like this one!

http://www.tru-tungsten.com/greg-hackne ... -hook.html

Butch
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

I think if you look at the physics of the hook set, this hook has less impact at the hook point. The force you put into the set is now distributed between two points, bleeding of velocity and force from the set. It has more points of contact which is a positive but you have to hit harder or set the hook numerous times to get the same impact that you get with a single hook. Just my opinion.

Have you had issues with single hooks? I haven't, and I think that's why heavy braid is so popular for froggin. No stretch = no loss of force and both hooks on a frog are hitting hard. Why else would we use 65# Braid where we would flip with 20# mono.
What do you think?
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

Frank not to get into a debate but: Anytime I can have a chance of 2 hooks in a bass over (1) I will take (2).

Example: Most hollow body frogs on the market feature 2 hooks for a reason.

Hook up ratio is suspect to begin with regarding frog bites.

My equipment: 7 ft med/heavy casting rod, Daiwa bait caster, and 50 lb power pro line.

I toss the frog into nasty stuff!

Butch
bonsaibp

Post by bonsaibp »

I've used that hook on the CA Delta many times and find my hook up and landing is about the same as if I use a single hook.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Butch I agree with your view regarding numbers of hook points. I like more than one as well. But my perspective on THIS BAIT is that the two hook points advantage ends about halfway through the hook set. Two points have a better chance of grabbing some surface, but as far as driving the hook in, give me one point. And I want to be clear, its only on frogs and toads, that I feel this way. I fish a lot of frogs, both in the day and at night. I use the same set up as you, other than I use 65# instead of 50#. I have only hooked a bass with both hooks on the frog a few times, I usually only have one hook that is passed the barb. I think that's because we wait on the set for them to turn. I found the same thing with the old weedless Jitterbug, when that was what was used over heavy weed. Granted they were an underhooked bait any way. I do think that a dual hook in a toad would improve weedlessness and tracking by providing a keel and a ramp for sliding over obstructions. But I'll be from Missouri when it comes to conceding a big advantage to Hackney's hook.
Butch if it weren't for debating we would never come up with improvements to techniques. I won't debate religon or politics, at least not without a good 12 year old scotch in my hand. LOL

Have you tried the double hooked jig, I think its by Lunker city? It showed up with a splash, but I don't see it being copied.

Bonsai man, you fish in froggin heaven, what else do guys out there do with frogs?
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

Double hooked jig? No

I have just about every lure known to man.

Butch
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

LOL. Send me the list of what your missing and I'll send you my spare!! Its the disease!!

Check this out , it's Snagproofs Bass Grabber Jig.

http://www.snagproof.com/index.php?page=...t&Itemid=41

I think you'll like it!
F
bassin butch

Post by bassin butch »

Thanks Frank now I have more to add to the collection!

Butch

brendanc

Post by brendanc »

The compartments in my bass boat used to look like that... now they end up looking like I put everything in there with a shovel! I also used to label everything with a label maker, but my kids think that Daddy's label maker is really neat, so they print out each other’s names until there is no tape left when I go to use it... I'm not buying another one because then "they will each have one to use"!!! I'm also not mentioning where all these label end up...

Remember, I'm a fairly new dad... my girls are only 3 and 5 years old right now.

**said sarcastically** "OK, so what were you guys saying about double vs. single hooks?" I
Brendan C.
mofish

Post by mofish »

I dont think the problem with hooking bass on the frogs is the number of points on the hook but how thick the baits are. That is alot of plastic to have to move to get the points of the hooks in there. Lunker City makes a really big (7/0 or 8/0) hook that works pretty well with them because of the extra room you have in the gap between the hook point and the shank of the hook. The bigger the gap the more room the baits has to move out of the way for a good hook set. You can also split the bait down the belly so the hook shanks has somewere to go. (kinda like a fluke has a split belly because the plastic is so thick.)

Remember its just my thought and it works pretty well for me, but hey I still like the straight shank worm hooks for almost all of my plastic fishing! because Larry Nixon said so. >/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink" height="15" width="15" />

bassin butch were did you get those containers on the side of you box,the ones holding your stuff along the sides? I like that Idea!!
Thanks,
Conley Staley