Im not catching anything on crankbaits

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
flowshow67

Post by flowshow67 »

Ive used crankbait multiple time this year and have caught no bass. Every time i use one, i catch pickerel or nothing. Am i using a crankbait incorrectly or is it just a bad luck. I run them along weeds, open water, iv tried eveything
allen howard

Post by allen howard »

Well obviously not everything. Each kind of crankbait has a specific job maybe your not using it to it's potential. You can't expect just to throw any crankbait and expect results. At what depth are you fishing? WhaT type of crankbait is it? You mentioned using it around grass. Are you fishing deep grass? Shallow grass? The key is knowing what your specific crankbait was designed for. And how your situation on the water you fishing is suited for that bait. The more you know about the tool your using the more productive it will be. You wouldn't use a hammer to cut a board. No more than you would use a saw to drive a nail.
flowshow67

Post by flowshow67 »

well i would be using it in roughly 5 feet or less of water and along long and shallow grass...I appreciate you answering my question by the way. I must not be using the right crankbait in the right areas or to its potential
flowshow67

Post by flowshow67 »

Im still open to all ideas, I could use as much help as possible with this.
allen howard

Post by allen howard »

Well I still don't know what type of crankbait your using. But in that situation I would opt for a lipless bait either on the top of the grass to where it just touches or along the grass lines and vary the depth. Till you figure out what they want. Sometimes in the situation you describing 5' or less of water you may not want to go with a crankbait.You maybe better off with a jig or plastics. And work the edges and breaks in the weed beds. There is a great artical about knowing the tools in your tackelbox which may help. From what I can tell you may not be useing the crankbait you have for the situation it was intended for. I carry a variety of baits that cover from the top to the bottom of the water collum. And each one has a certain perpose.I hope this helps.
flowshow67

Post by flowshow67 »

veryy much, thank you fro your help and i will try your sugestions
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

All good advice from AlyCat.

I would like to point out one key word in your post "areas"

Originally Posted By: flowI must not be using the right crankbait in the right areas or to its potential

You can have the best lure and technique in the world, but if you are fishing in an "area" where bass are not present... guess what?

Like real estate, bass fishing is also "location, location, location".

If you are in the right location, sometimes it is as simple as vertical verses horizontal presentations. The bass may be looking for a vertical presentation like a jig or worm. If there was only one tip I could give people, it would be to "try to find out if the bass are reacting to a vertical or horizontal lure presentation". If you can figure that part out, it can dramatically reduce your lure selection and quickly increase your catch ratio.

There are so many variables when choosing a crankbait, it is difficult to say which one is the right one. I would suggest that you read this article by one of our prostaff members Frank L. Article - Tools or Toys There is a lot of wisdom in this short article and it might help you fine tune your lure selection process.

I hope you find some of this information helpful.

BC
Brendan C.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

If you have questions after you read the article, I'm here to help.
Frank
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
LIfisherman776

Post by LIfisherman776 »

good article.thanks frank and brendan.what kind of rod do you use when cranking?
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

I use a 7' glass st. croix, a 7'ancient composite kunan and a 6'6" med. action graphite all star. All have 5.3 to 1 round reels. and 10# or 12# mono. I like the 7' rods for the deeper cranks because it throws them a lot farther. I also throw some cranks on a 5'6" pistol grip rod when I am throwing them to tight spots in cover, it much more accurate that the long stick are. I'll use it going down the bank with a trap the way most guys will throw a spinnerbait.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York