Swim jigs

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
bassin butch

Swim jigs

Post by bassin butch »

Started tossing swim jigs in fall and did very well on them, I use them a much different way. 3/16 once with a zoom speed craw trailer. I take 1/4' of the plastic body off as it fits better and is more compact. Now as you know: a swim jig is meant to be cast and then swimmed back to you (Not what I do).

I allow the bait to free-fall to the bottom on slack line then I crawl the jig back to the boat. And I do meen crawl, the jig will get hung up on weeds and I jiggle the rod the free it. The bass cant stand the technique. My bass caught are mostly bigger on this technique.

Started using Tom Monsoor swim jigs but BPS no longer sells them, changed over to Brovarney now. http://www.brovarneybaits.com/

Butch
brendanc

Swim jigs

Post by brendanc »

Great stuff... Butch. I love to "swim a jig" but I've never used a "swim jig" to do so. Just a standard Stanley Casting jig. Pitch, flip, swim, hop, skip and crawl... all with one jig. It's really hard to beat a jig, when you think about all the things you can do with them...

It's great that you've found a new technique that is producing bigger fish. Takes the game up a notch, right?

BC
Brendan C.
kspringer

Swim jigs

Post by kspringer »

Butch, I have also added the swim jig to my rotation. This year we had near record flooding on Kentucky Lake and the water was 7 feet over the bushes. I was taking a white/chart Gander Mountain swim jig with a white zoom Fat Albet grub as a trailer and swimming it through the bushes, they were killin it!!!! I to alow the jig to free fall on cast and them kinda stroke it back allowing it to flutter down to the bushes and then rippin back up. I had never really tried a true swim jig, i also did what Brendan does and just swim a regular jig, but these thing are amazingly snag proof!!! Congrats on adding another bullet to the chamber.
Tight Lines......
allen howard

Swim jigs

Post by allen howard »

I totlally agree. This past tourney I was useing a jig and noticed that I was getting hits while reeling in to cast again. So I started swimming the jig back just touching the bottom and it paid off. This weekend I'm going to try the new Stike King swimming jig I found while restocking my tackle box this week. I'll let you know how it performs. It caught my eye because it wasn't a little thing it's 3/8oz. So it can get down quicker. For those deep ledges.
brendanc

Swim jigs

Post by brendanc »

It's really amazing how much you can do with a jig. Such a simple design, yet brilliant! It the one lure that everyone should learn to use.

Alycat, have you ever tried the Keitech tungsten football head jigs? That are insane for finesse ledge fishing. The 1/2 oz model gets down in 50' really quick and sticks to the bottom. It has a small hook so you don't really need to whack the fish hard when they strike, which helps when you have all that line out and 50' of water to deal with. There is a little bit of a learning curve with them because the hook size. At first I was dropping fish, but after I made some adjustments to my hook set and rod selection, I don't have issues anymore.
Brendan C.
bassin butch

Swim jigs

Post by bassin butch »

A jig is such a natural presentation, can appeal as a crawfish, small minnow or a bug. I love to use the bait right behind a person burning a spinnerbait.

The big girls either give you a thud, or just grab it and swim.

Butch
brendanc

Swim jigs

Post by brendanc »

Don't you just love the hit on a jig? When they want it, they knock the heck out of it!
Brendan C.
kspringer

Swim jigs

Post by kspringer »

There is nothin sweeter than a jig bite!!!! Well almost nothin............
brendanc

Swim jigs

Post by brendanc »

Speaking of Jig bites, how's it been down on Kentucky Lake? Are you having fun on the ledges, or what?
Brendan C.
kspringer

Swim jigs

Post by kspringer »

Wow,its been AWESOME!!!!! With all the high water last month the fish where a little slow making it to the ledges, but they are there now BIG TIME!!!! Strokin Jigs, Deep Crankbaits, 10" worms and spoons are the tickets. The river fishing has been spectacular as well. The smallmouth are on fire in the Tennesse River. We are catching 5 to 8 pounders. I have a tournament in the morning on the river, but the heat index is suppose to be around 110 degrees and Im really not to excited, but those big smallies should help things out. Your all welcome to come down anytime!!!!