Swim jigs

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
allen howard

Swim jigs

Post by allen howard »

Sounds like you guys are having a ball! Hey Brendon I haven't heard of the jig you describe but one of my club meembers makes some real nice football head jigs in the 3/8 to 1/2 size and they work well for me. I tried some of the new strike king swimming jig I found and they seemed to perform well. They are flat on the sides which worked well in grass. but I still like the buckeye baits jigs and the strike king flippin jigs. In the past couple of years the jig has been one of my go to baits and have caught most of my larger fish on them. I have a tourney next weekend on the Ohio river which will probly be tough because the water has been up for so long. So I'm not sure as to what stage the fish will be in. But you can bet I'll have acouple of jigs tied on.
brendanc

Swim jigs

Post by brendanc »

They are really more of a finesse jig that can be worked very deep. Small and compact with a very small hook.

Killer jigs...

Kevin,

How did you do in your tournament?
Brendan C.
allen howard

Swim jigs

Post by allen howard »

Looks like a great jig. Is there a web site to order some from? I'd love to try some out. Maybe it would help my stats out.. I'm stuck in 5th place in one club and moved up to 7th in the other club. I could use all the help I could get!!
kspringer

Swim jigs

Post by kspringer »

Brendan, we won, the bite was on!!!! We culled through 6 limits of fish and our final weight was 22lbs. I had 2 smallmouth that were 5lbs each, the rest were largemouth. Thank gosh the sun stayed in until around noon and then it got HOT!!! One of those days you dream about......
brendanc

Swim jigs

Post by brendanc »

That's 22lb for 5 fish, right? That's an awesome bag... and two 5 lb smallies to boot! Guess they held up for you after all.
Brendan C.
kspringer

Swim jigs

Post by kspringer »

Yep 5 fish, the other 3 were 4lb largemouths. We were throwing back 3lbers like they were 12"ers, it was awesome. For a tournament on the river thats almost unheard of.
allen howard

Swim jigs

Post by allen howard »

Congrats!! sounds like an awsome day!!! Keep up the good work.
garland7

Swim jigs

Post by garland7 »

Awesome, congratulations!
kspringer

Swim jigs

Post by kspringer »

Thanks guys, the one piece of advice I can give everyone, dont be afraid to expand your fishing techniques. I have not thrown swim jigs until this year, I noticed a few weeks ago I was catching several fish while crankin my jig back in to make another cast. The very next day I called one of my sponsors and had them send me some swim jigs. I tied one on and put a white grub on as a trailer and went fishing. I started with a regular football head jig and caught a few fish and again noticed a few fish hit the jig on the wind in. I picked up the swim jig and fished it just like a spinnerbait, and BAM, started catching more fish. We didnt catch all of our fish in the tournament on the swim jig, but when the bite on the football head died out, we were able to re fire the school with the swim jig. In todays highly pressured fishing, sometimes you have to do something different than everyone else, dont get stuck doing the same thing everytime you go.
brendanc

Swim jigs

Post by brendanc »

Well said...
Brendan C.