Help with rod/reel selection

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
wolfewiz

Post by wolfewiz »

Ok, here is what I want to accomplish. Feel free to tell me if I am trying to kill too many birds with one stone...

Species: Primarily largemouth, stripers and would like to have something that I can take muskie fishing when the opportunity presents itself.

I want something that I can shorefish and throw 1-2oz lures long distances and plenty of backbone to handle large fish in current. I would like to use the same rod/reel on a boat for throwing large football jigs, C Rigs and other heavier lures to deepwater ledges. I would also like to use this same setup to learn how to flip/pitch with to short range cover.

What I am considering is a 7'6" med/heavy or heavy action rod with a baitcaster. I am looking at Revos due to the heavy duty drag. I dont have any Revos, but I do have Corados. I was wondering what anyone thought about the differences in the drags and performance of these 2 different reels (various models being considered). As far a the rod is concerned, I am thinking that I can get the casting distance and the flipping/pitching distance from the longer rod (i dont have any that are 7'6"). I have read that the heavy action is good for flipping/pitching, but will it be good for long distance casting? Keep in mind that I would not be going any less than 1/2oz or maybe 5/8oz in weight, but I probably 3/4 to 1oz will be most typically thrown.

I am always willing to pay for quality, but any brand/model sugggestions is appreciated.

Thanks for helping a greenhorn!!!
**DONOTDELETE**

Post by **DONOTDELETE** »

hey wolfewiz, you should check out the St. Croix Mojo Cast Rod 7'6" Med Hvy and i use revos on all my rods. maybe a high speed if your going to flip/pitch spooled with atleast 50# braid. these rods have a good backbone but a softer tip to really chuck the bait.