Flurocarbon Line.

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
BTwizy

Flurocarbon Line.

Post by BTwizy »

I decided to make a switch to flurocarbon and bought some 12 pound test.. Well the stuff is pretty thin and Ive lost a couple jigs my first day out, due to my line breaking >/frown.gif" alt="frown" title="frown" height="15" width="15" /> I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what to use. I do like to throw big jigs and crankbaits.
allen howard

Flurocarbon Line.

Post by allen howard »

As far as floro I've been using it for years. for 12lb line what size jig are you using? I usually use 17 to 20lb for jigs over an 1/8oz. 12lb I would normally use for finnesse worms or bitzy jigs on a spinning rod. If your in the rocks or heavy brush it can fray alot. so check your line constantly. Also make sure to use a good knot with floro, I use a palomar knot. As far as type I use trilene 100% and vicious pro. Both good lines. Give it a chance the sensativity is great after you get a feel for it. you will be able to tell what the bottom feels like,soft or hard, rock or grass. I use it for most everything but topwater. Good luck hope this helps.
swimbait101

Flurocarbon Line.

Post by swimbait101 »

What kind of line are you using? It might just be not good quality line.
Fire Ball

Flurocarbon Line.

Post by Fire Ball »

Good quality line is key. Try Seaguar InvizX or AbrazX. It is probably more expensive than what you were using, but you get what you pay for!
BTwizy

Flurocarbon Line.

Post by BTwizy »

I picked up the Berkley Trilene from my local walmart... 12 pound was the heaviest they carried. I throw a 3/8 jig normaly. Also thanks for the replies guys!
swimbait101

Flurocarbon Line.

Post by swimbait101 »

15 lb Seaguar InvizX. The way to go
Fire Ball

Flurocarbon Line.

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: BTwizyI picked up the Berkley Trilene from my local walmart... 12 pound was the heaviest they carried. I throw a 3/8 jig normaly. Also thanks for the replies guys!
Is it the Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon or Vanish? The 100% is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it personally. Make sure the 2 lines do not cross in the eye of the hook when you tie a palomar knot. It will cut into itself if they are crossed.
BTwizy

Flurocarbon Line.

Post by BTwizy »

The 100% flurocarbon... I do like it, casts really smooth, But I think with the no stretch factor it will snap really easy if your not using the proper pound test... Though Ive had very little experience.
Fire Ball

Flurocarbon Line.

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: BTwizyThe 100% flurocarbon... I do like it, casts really smooth, But I think with the no stretch factor it will snap really easy if your not using the proper pound test... Though Ive had very little experience.
There is still stretch with fluoro, it is just less stretch than you have with mono. Braid has virtually no stretch.

What knot are you tying?
brendanc

Flurocarbon Line.

Post by brendanc »

With the Berkley 100% you need to go with 14lb (minimum) for jig fishing. Around heavy cover, the 17lb is just awesome... I have been trying everything I can to break that stuff.... just doesn't happen. For the price, it's hard to beat. Even the original Berkley Vanish is good in 14lb test (seams like the only size that is good though). If you're trying to stretch a buck you could give that a try.

I started with the 12 lb test and had too many breaks on the hook set.

Personally, stick with the Berkley 100%... Fantastic line... Just my 2 cents... hope it helps.
Brendan C.