First Review - Nanofil

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
Crestliner

First Review - Nanofil

Post by Crestliner »

Just loaded up some new 10# test Nanofil on one of my spinning rigs. The line is very much like (in appearance) to Fireline Crystal (very white!). It handles a bit differently though. It's very thin! Cast VERY smoothly. No sound at all. I did not get any line wrap around the rod tip or wind knots this morning either. This line is rather round instead of flat like the Fireline and it does float. The breezes we had this morning did carry it however. Slack line in the breeze is not unlike thread. This bowing of the line did not appear to hamper my feel.

Probably made 50 casts or so with it. I noticed that my casting distance has improved notably. It has zero stretch and is a very opaque line; so I added a 2' fluoro leader of 12# test and tossed 5" Senkos wacky rigged. Yes, I did get a small bass - probably just a tad over 2 lbs.. Handled the fight quite well. Very little effort required to set the hook. So far, I have nothing bad to say about it. I used a double Albright knot for the joining of the leaver material.

Switched two days later to a Sweet Beaver on a slider head. Fished a break with heavy weed growth and nailed a fat 5.25 lb. largemouth. I'm really liking the sensitivity of this line and the way it handles. It might be worth a shot for some of you.

BTW, I was also trying out the new Gamakatsu "Wicked Wacky" weedless hooks for the first time. (Of course, I crimped down the barb, for easier hook extraction, in the even that a bass took my offering deep.) I think I like this hook as well as, or better than, their "finesse weedless" model. It grabs weeds, yes, but comes free easily and doesn't get hung up. And you don't have to worry about the weedguard popping off the hook.

Two first for me and so far, two thumbs up!
brendanc

First Review - Nanofil

Post by brendanc »

Hey Crestliner,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the new Nanofil line (and Gamakatsu Hook).
I've been wondering about it. Great review!

Did you get a picture of the 5.25lb largemouth? Let me know if you'd like to post it, I'd be glad to help you out...

Brendan C.
wgbassgirl

First Review - Nanofil

Post by wgbassgirl »

Thanks for sharing your experience. I actually think this might be a line I should look into. I tend to have some casting issues, so I think I would give this one a try.

Also, thanks for the hook suggestion, another issue I am faced with regularly. Although I have gotten a lot better at shaking the weeds loose, I'll take all the help I can get.
Crestliner

First Review - Nanofil

Post by Crestliner »

No Brendan, I didn't get a picture. Being retired I usually get out to wet a line almost every day during open water, but usually from shore. I carry a small fanny pack with one rod and two or three lure selections, staying only about 1 - 2 hrs. each time out. When I had my boat I use to have a small tripod mounted camera that I caught most of my catches on. Now all I use is small scale to keep sharp on my guesswork.
gubahead

First Review - Nanofil

Post by gubahead »

I'd just like to chime in on the Nanofil line. I tried the 8lb and liked it very much. Casts a mile,incredibly thin,smooth,and very sensitive. The Albright knot has intimidated me, so i use the double uni to attach my fluoro leader. I know your always supposed to wet a knot before you cinch it, but with this line you have to really be careful to get it nice and wet and slowly cinch it. Any heat at all compromises the knot strength considerably. I guess that Albright knot doesn't generate that much heat when you cinch it, but with getting older my eyes just can't get a handle on it. I'd highly recommend the line with the caveat about the knot strength.
wgbassgirl

First Review - Nanofil

Post by wgbassgirl »

Chuck thanks for the extra tips. I am very interesting in giving this line a try. From the sound of it, it seems like something that will help catch more bass.
brendanc

First Review - Nanofil

Post by brendanc »

The double uni is a great know... the Albright can be a bit complicated, but when mastered it's a great knot. It's always about what works best for you personally in the end.
Brendan C.
basser913

First Review - Nanofil

Post by basser913 »

Thanx for the review. I just baught some of the 8lb and was going to try it out this spring. Sounds like I made a good choice.
Crestliner

First Review - Nanofil

Post by Crestliner »

Just stay away from the 2# test! Had a terrible time with this stuff crappie fishing. Broke off more jigs than you can shake a stick at. Tried all kinds of knots. Tried it with and without a fluoro leader. Seems that the absolute "no-stretch" characteristic of this line is not forgiving in the slightest. The least hook set and the jig was gone! Switched back to my 2# mono for my UL rig.