To Fog, or not to Fog... that is the question!

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

As we head into December 2011, we've been pretty lucky here in the northeastern United States as far as weather is concerned. Every year at this time I'm faced with the debate of whether to winterize my bass boat or not. Some years the lakes don't freeze over and I can still use it. Other years, we’ve gotten hit with a nasty snow storm before I had a chance to winterize my boat... and therein lies the dilemma... "to winterize, or not to winterize".

This year I will again take the gamble and see how much more fishing I can squeeze out of 2011. It really gets interesting when you start hearing “talk” of a snow storm. Do I run out and fog my engine just in case? I think the safe bet is to do so and if the weather stays mild and I want to take the boat out, just burn off the fogging oil and hit the motor when I pull out. Perhaps the best of both worlds.

I have spoken with other northern bass fishermen who feel that since the boat is only really going to sit for a couple of months, there really isn’t a need to fog the motor. Some guys farther up north don’t take that chance because they might be iced in for up to 4 months.

It certainly posses some interesting things to ponder… what do you northerners think?
Brendan C.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Hey Nunz,

I should have specified 2 stroke motors. I put Ring Free and Sta-Bil (fuel stabilizer) in every time I fill my tank. I also have an inline water separator between my fuel tanks and motor (just in case).

Some guys shrink-wrap their boats which is another factor.

On number 6, if you are treating your fuel, there really is no need to run the engine dry because even the fuel in you gas lines and throughout your motor is "treated", right?

Let's keep the pole simple "fog it or not" and of course share and discuss anything else related to winterization in the thread.
Brendan C.
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

I'm just glad we don't have to winterize anything here in Southern California, hahaha. We can fish all year!
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Sure, rub it in... lol
Brendan C.