To Spool or Not To Spool?

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Hey yall, I wanted to throw this two part question out there.

Do you spool your own reels or do you have the bait shop guys do it for you on the spooling machine?

And whichever way you spool, why do you roll that way?
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

I spool my own. I do it because the guy at the store put it on wrong a few too many times. Nothing can take the fun out of a day like line twist on a spinning rod! doing it myself, I can apply the tension the way I want, bring it to the level I want and feel the line to make sure I like it. Some line doesn't feel good. Don't ask me to explain that, I can't But some line feels good to me and some doesn't and its that line that will give me problems when I fish. I top shot a lot too. I buy 1/4 pound spools and keep it in a dark cool place and it lasts a long time.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Yeah, what Frank said... lol
Brendan C.
George Cawthorn

I tried having the tackle shop spool for me once. The guy said to me " these $%# left hand crank baitcasters always cause us a lot of trouble."

Like I was the only guy on the planet that prefers them.

The spool job was bad. They would put it on for free if you bought the line there.

Big deal, a lousy spooling job for free.

I always spool my own rods. You have more control and can get it just the way you like with a little practice.
George Cawthorn

I have noticed that the very light, and very heavy lines have a tendency to backlash more often. That looks like some pretty heavy line Nunz. What is that, 14 lb. mono.

I've seen that picture before.... In my last nightmare.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

I had that same dream!! more than once!
I haven't seen an uptick with a change in line weight. I have had problems when I've changed brands of line. Stiff lines like Ande drive me nuts. Yeah I tried Ande in fresh water! Don't laugh. BAck in the day it had less stretch than anything on the market. The old stren was so limp and stretchy you didn't get tight on the hook set til the rod tip was past your shoulder!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Originally Posted By: NunzNow forget about it.

I don't know exactly why, but there's just something funny about this sentence... >/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink" height="15" width="15" />
Brendan C.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

I think it's FOR-GED-ABOW-DIT!
Brendan C.