Berkley Lightning Shock Rods

Share your comments, thoughts, criticisms and compliments about the many forms of tackle and equipment on the market today...
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

I just ordered the 1-pc. 7'6" Med-Light version of this rod at Walmarts - to be delivered to the store for pick-up, to save shipping costs. Paid $38.00 for it, about a week and a half ago. But that's not the end to this story. Heads up! If you shop Walmarts online for anything, be aware that the price on any item you are looking at, can & will change day-by-day!

When I first saw this rod online (at Walmarts) about a month ago, it was $35.00. Then it jumped to $42.00 a few days later. Then it was no longer being offered for about a week. A few days ago it was going for $52.00! The MSR on the rod (and the BPS & Cabelas price) is $55.95, so you can see it's all over the place with Walmart pricing. You just have to be patient and keep a watch on the item you are looking for, until it's at a price you think is a good deal. There are some great deals to be had by shopping online this way, as you can see.

In case you are wondering, I selected this rod for use with a float fishing presentation for deep water smallmouths, that I've been doing for many years. This is a topic unto itself. Maybe for another post if there is an interest. >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

I'll post something on our float presentation in the "Tactics & Techniques" forum later today. I think you might enjoy it. >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
Crestliner

Post by Crestliner »

Update on the Shock Rod: Have used it about 3 times thus far with the float rig. About the only thing I would do differently (next year!) will be to downsize the Fireline Crystal to 6# test vs. the 8# test I'm using now. Sink rate should be faster and in open water, there really isn't any need to go heavier.

I've caught a few big smallies on this rod, along with one 4# lake trout. Rod performed very well with a great parabolic action and enough "give" to take care of the hardest fighting smallmouth. Had one 20 incher jump a few times at boatside. The rod action followed the fish just fine. I'm pleased. >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

its nice to hear that the rod is working out for you... and at that price... that's even better!
Brendan C.