When to try a different lure?

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

How long do you cast a lure and work a spot over before you change lures.If you have tried different presentations and nothing, and you know theres fish.Thanx, MbBass
RIBAA

Post by RIBAA »

Try keeping the amount of lures you bring with you to a minimum,opting instead to bring lures that match the forage species prevalent in that particular lake.Instead of constantly changing lures try varying your presentation,cover the entire water column top to bottom.If this doesn't work for you then consider this your initiation in the "skunked" club.Don't worry,you'll have plenty of company in the skunked club,we've ALL been there
Dan

RI Bass
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Most pros will work a bait and area for several casts, then swap baits. If that also fails then they leave the area and return later. P.S. Be sure to try fishing the bait from different angles if possible, often, current, sunshine or the position of any bait fish dictate which way a fish hovers in the cover. I've found that too many times, the angle of presentation can make a big difference. Good luck, JC
Johnnie Crain
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Hey MbBass... that is a good question. I'm sure there would be a lot of different answers to it too.

Basically when I'm fishing with no specific target, like I'm just trying to get bit and not caring to much about big or small, I'll put it in my mind to fish a rig for about half an hour and if I get no bites the way I'm set up I will switch off to something else.

Another color, worm style, lure etc.

When I'm going after big fish, which is most of the time, I fish in a way that follows the bite.

For example I always start off with my heavier stuff. My thinking is that I may just cash in some first cast luck.

Lets say I start off with an 8" trout swimbait. I'll stick with that for about half an hour.

Then I'll fish lets say a 6" Senko and if I don't get bit in 30 minutes on that, I'll ratchet it down to a 5", and then a four inch etc. till I get bit.

It's like I'm walking down the stairs lightening up my rig each move. As soon as I get bit I switch off to a bigger setup figuring the bite is on now and some larger fish will be moving in behind the smaller ones.

This stepping down from the top and then up again as soon as you get a bite has helped me land some prett good lunkers.

I probably would get a lot more bites sticking with the size that gets bit but I'm always looking to up my personal best not catch more smaller fish necessarily.

Well that's what I do. There are many aproaches and ways of thinking about it.

Besides keeping your lure selection relatively simple for starters I would also advise to have at least four rods spooled with different weight lines. I usually have rods with 12 lb., 10 lb., 8 lb. and 6 lb. line ready to rock. Besides stepping up and down with the lure sizes, I also step up and down with the line weights to go along with the larger or smaller lures.

Most of the time I finish off my day with a half an hour with my big stuff. Just to make sure I give that whopper another nice meal to look at before I go.

Good fishing to ya, later.......... geobass

MbBass

Post by MbBass »

Thanx geobass for the input.I just finished reading a bassmaster article about baby crawfish.It say that it out fishes the big ones hands down.He thinks that bass realy love crawfish and a baby one is a easy meal.Right now all i fish is ponds and lakes with no boat.So takeing 4 rods isnt really a option right now.But i am working on a boat.Oh yeah pink worms and white worms have been working great around my area in south carolina if anyone is interested.Thanx and i am sure i can think of a few more questions.