Just try to stock a pond

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
MbBass

Just try to stock a pond

Post by MbBass »

Man oh man did i bite off more than i could chew.Well i have been catching LMB alot lately.Past seven days have bee so fun catching LMB.So i got this bright idea to stock my own pond in my neightbow hood.Nobody fishes it and it feeds into a marsh That filters through a rocj dam.

So i started stocking this 4 year old pond about 3 acres big.I put in 12 2 lb 12 to 14 inches, 10LMB 3 lbs 13 to 15 inches,Put in 6lmb 4lbs 15 to 18 inches, 5 5lbs at around 20 inches,And 2 6.2lbs amd 6.7 lbs.Then i stared reading on the care and forage needed.Oh boy i read for an hour and nknew i needed more than the 150 blurgill that i had.Yeah it had fathead minnows and i saw crayfish and silver roach fish.So the past 6 days i have been the blugill catchen maching to stock up my pond.

In six days i have caught and tranported 560 bluegill yeah thats right 560.All in the 3 to 6 inch range.My hands are so messed up catching these blue gill.At first i did it bassackwards but i think i righted the wrong and am on track to have one heck of a fishing hole.JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE WHAT I BEEN DOING.oH YEAH ALL THESE BASS WERE CAUGHT ON THE 4 INCH SENKO WEIGHTLESS.wELL THE NEXT 3 DAYZ ARE GOIN TO BE GOOD FISH DAYZ SO GET ON IT.And i think i learned that if you a shore fisherman and pressure is riseing fast do bother.Fishing gets real slow when barromic pressure rises fast.Later guyz and ladies and thanx for all the help.
brendanc

Just try to stock a pond

Post by brendanc »

MbBass,

You had us worried for a minute up here in NY. It is not legal in our state (New York)to transport fish from one place to another. Based on what I can see here on the South Carolina State website: http://www.scstatehouse.net/code/t50c016.htm it sounds like you guys don't have that restriction and CAN transport native fish:

South Carolina Code of Laws
(Unannotated)
Current through the end of the 2007 Regular Session

Title 50 - Fish, Game and Watercraft

CHAPTER 16.

IMPORTATION OF WILDLIFE
SECTION 50-16-10. "Wildlife" defined.

For the purpose of this chapter, "wildlife" means a member of the animal kingdom including without limitation a mammal, fish, bird, amphibian, reptile, mollusk, crustacean, arthropod, or other invertebrate.

SECTION 50-16-20. Importation of wildlife for certain purposes prohibited; investigation; permit.

(A) It is unlawful for a person to import, possess, or transport for the purpose of release or to introduce or bring into this State any live wildlife of the following types without a permit from the department:

(1) a furbearer, a member of the family Cervidae, a nondomestic member of the families Suidae (pigs), Tayassuidae (peccaries), Bovidae (bison, mountain goat, mountain sheep), coyote, bear, or turkey (genus Meleagris). Furbearer includes, but is not limited to, red and gray fox, raccoon, opossum, muskrat, mink, skunk, otter, bobcat, weasel, and beaver;

(2) a species of marine or estuarine fish, crustacean, mollusk, or other marine invertebrate not already found in the wild, or not native to this State.

(3) a species of freshwater fish, crustacean, mollusk, or other freshwater invertebrate not already found in the wild or not native to this State.

(B) A permit may be granted only after the investigations and inspections of the wildlife have been made as the department considers necessary and the department approves the possession, transportation, or importation into the State. The department may not issue a permit unless it finds:

(1) the wildlife was taken lawfully in the jurisdiction in which it originated;

(2) the importation, release, or possession of the wildlife is not reasonably expected to adversely impact the natural resources of the State or its wildlife populations.

SECTION 50-16-25. Release of pigs for hunting purposes.

It is unlawful to release or transport for the purpose of release a member of the family Suidae (pig) for hunting purposes or in an attempt to establish or supplement a free roaming population; however, a landowner may capture and release a pig so long as: (1) the pig is captured pursuant to a permit issued without charge by the Department of Natural Resources, and (2) the pig is released on the same tract on which the pig was captured or on an adjoining tract with permission of the owner of the adjoining tract. Under no circumstances may a pig be released in a county other than the county in which the pig was captured.

SECTION 50-16-30. Importation of diseased animals prohibited.

It is unlawful for a person to possess, transport, or otherwise bring into the State or release or introduce into the State any diseased wildlife or other animal that reasonably might be expected to pose a public health or safety hazard as determined by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control after consultation with the department.

SECTION 50-16-40. Exception to permit requirement for wildlife imported for exhibition purposes.

Wildlife imported for exhibition purposes only by state wildlife departments, municipal zoos or parks, public museums, public zoological parks, and public scientific or educational institutions operated not for profit, and transient circuses are not required to procure a permit under Section 50-16-20. Nothing in this chapter prohibits the department or its duly authorized agents from possessing, importing, or releasing wildlife.

SECTION 50-16-50. Authority to promulgate regulations.

The department may promulgate regulations to effectuate the provisions of this chapter.

SECTION 50-16-60. Exception to permit requirement for certain wildlife imported for sale as pets.

The importation of the following wildlife for sale in the pet trade does not require a permit:

1. tropical fishes

2. rats and mice

3. rabbits

4. canaries

5. gerbils

6. shell parakeets

7. love birds

8. cockatiels

9. parrots

10. toucans

11. mynah birds

12. finches

13. hamsters

14. guinea pigs

15. reptiles

16. amphibians.

The provisions of this section do not privilege the import or possession of a species otherwise protected or regulated by other provisions of this title.

SECTION 50-16-70. Penalties.

A person violating the provisions of this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Brendan C.
MbBass

Just try to stock a pond

Post by MbBass »

And all because i wanted my own fishing hole.I got permission to take some out today cause the pond is bass heavy.So i was sure i can help.I put them in the pond that i have been getting all my bluegill.Today i caught 42 LMB and they all swam away.My hands are so freakin tore up.My arms hurt my thumb on my left hand is kinda bleeding.Kinda sad that someone has not been manageing the pond i fished at today.They were hitting the worm as soon as it hit the water.Brendan you compete dont you??
brendanc

Just try to stock a pond

Post by brendanc »

I do fish tournaments, but I have been focusing on local club and regional team tournaments mostly. The competition is good and I don't have to travel too much. Once my two daughters get a little older, I plan on getting back to tournament fishing on a larger scale.
Brendan C.
carl

Just try to stock a pond

Post by carl »

Mb, I feel so sorry for you. It's been three years since I've had that kind of day! Good for you.

I don't know what the regs are in my state, I've stocked two small ponds with success. I have heard that it's not recommended because you can transport desease from one pond to another. Carl
MbBass

Just try to stock a pond

Post by MbBass »

Yeah i have only picked the healthy LOOKING ones to stock the pond.I have been goin and catching a few at my pond in my neighborhood and even the little 12 inch LMB are stuffed.So far all the 12 to 13 inchers are about 3 pounds!!!I am up to 650 BG all in the range of 3 to 7 inches.

The kids around here need something that is pure instead of tv with all the crazy stuff.Kinda takes it back old school.I am only 32 but i grew up watching westerns and no cable till i was like 16.Before i took up fishing 3 months ago i surfed and golfed and ran my buisness.

I was fishing a 4 inch senko and caught a channel cat today.THat freakin horse broke my rod after 10 minutes of wearin him out.I couldnt believe it!Later on, and stay safe.