Trailer Hooks for Spinnerbait

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
JPSartre12

Post by JPSartre12 »

I've watched a couple of bass fishing shows that talked about the use of a trailer hook on spinnerbait. Is this a good idea or a gimmick? And if it's a good idea, is a red trailer better than a black or silver one?
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

If I were to use a spinner bait traiker hook, I would use a red one from mor attraction.> It has alwyas been my contention that if a bas isn't taking my offering, the color or size, presentation or even the type bait is probably wrong. rarely have I saved the day by using a stinger hook. Actually stinker hooks may keep me from catching fish beacuse I'm more reluctant to throw it into heasvy cover. Hope you get more information. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

there are alot of theories on the use/need of them. some feel if your blades are over the hook then no need, like a short armed spinnerbait. some mfg's are using longer shanks on their hooks so you wont need a trailer.

for me...i always use a trailer hook...and many times, the fish is hooked just on that hook. i dont use a red one...have not seen in my tests proof that it works. besides most of the time when i use a trailer i have it rigged through my teaser on the bait.
**Ray Charpentier**
JPSartre12

Post by JPSartre12 »

I was at Bass Pro Shop last night and saw that KVD has a line of spinnerbaits with trailer hooks that have his name on them.
usc2u2

Post by usc2u2 »

I have been in the habit of useing trailer hooks on my spinnerbaits for years now. I dont use red for the following reason. If the theory is right red disappears at minimal depths and cant be seen anyway. I have started in the last year useing David Fritts Sure Set treble hooks for trailers on my spinner baits. They work well for me in open water or just outside grass lines. Been hungup once.
Champion 198cx / Mercury 225 pro xs