Swallowed hooks.

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
MbBass

Swallowed hooks.

Post by MbBass »

Lately i have encountered the bass have swallowed half the bait with hook. Now i dont clam to know as much as you guys but i tend to figure things out fast. And i have seen guys just ripp them out and the fish is pouring blood.

So this got me thinking what to do??? So i just pulled the worm out leaveing the hook in. Next i cut the line. then i turned the hook around and down now the hook is out the gills. Next all you have to do is push up and hardly any damage or blood will come out of the Bass if any.

Hope this helps any of you that might read this. I catch and release i really want to catch a 10+ lber ! Have a good one , from Myrtle Beach ,South Carolina.
johnnie crain outdoors

Swallowed hooks.

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

MbBass, that technique does work, I use it often. It's good to post ideas like that sometimes as a reminder or for new members. Keep up the good work. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
MbBass

Swallowed hooks.

Post by MbBass »

Yeah this post is not for guyz like you johnnie.But alot of guyz go rippin away.Just tryin to do my part so all of us can catch that big one.And i dont mean to come of as a know it all by no means.I have alwayz respected nature and what it has to offer.Have a good one
brendanc

Swallowed hooks.

Post by brendanc »

MBbass,

Everyone appreciates the information you share. Keep posting, you do not come across as a "know it all"... you come across as someone who is willing to share and help others. You also posted this tip in the right area (Beginner's Board)... although I have seen some pretty seasoned anglers abuse fish because they do not know enough about fish handling and hook removal.

IMHO - No lure is worth more than the life of a bass. I very rarely have had a bass take a lure so deep that it was in it's throat... but I still keep a pair of long handled cutting dikes in the boat just in case...

If you can cut the hook point behind the barb, the the rest is easy. The barb is what kills...
Brendan C.
MbBass

Swallowed hooks.

Post by MbBass »

I have seen this in the ponds i have been stocking. All the kids have now gottin into fishing , and by all means thats cool. I would rather see them fishing than some of the [censored] i see on the news. Kids video tapeing them selves beatin on one kid. Mkaes me sick to see that stuff. I feel like surfing and fishing is a pure sport and conditions are not alwayz the same.

I just wish we as adults could take time out to influence these kids that have nothing or nobody to look up to or go to for guidence. I am only 32 and things have changed so much and every kid seems to be so pissed off. I like the focus you have to have when surfing and fishing everything seems to slow down a bit and nothing else seems to matter ya know.

Oh well i better stop here. All i have to say is help a kid out or show him something different and you can make them enjoy mother nature. And no i dont talk like those cali surfers. That sounds like they high on cloud nine when they talk like that. It sounds funny though.Have a good on evry1