Best ways to catch crappie

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

The crappie are bitein reel good here and i have never tried it.I was wanting to try it , but wanted to know what ways seem to work the best.Does the gulp crappie bait work? I hear minnows work.Do worms or crickets work? I was fishing a 30 acre lake where the water discharges in the lake.While i was bass fishing i saw a couple of guys landing some 2 pounders some were silver and some were black.Thanx for the help
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

Yes, the Berkley Gulp products work well, but for all around crappie fishing it's hard to beat a Road Runner jig. That little flicker spinner under the jig head really attracts crappie. Minnows, worms and crickets will all take crappie, just remember to fish slightly above the fish. Crappie like to feed upward for some reason. For starters, I'd probably go with a small fine wire hook, a split shot and a pencil float rigged slip style. Adjust to the needed depth. Feel free to use fish attractant scents as well on lures or live bait. Crappie have a great sense of smell. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

Let me tell you about my crappie adventure. I got there first light and where the water was blasting out from the power plant into this 30 acre lake . The fish were hitting the top hard. So threw my bait out and shad after shad. Then i noticed the hits were getttin big and bigger.

So i had a 4 inch semko that was white with black flake. I jerk swam that thing so it would stay high. In 3 hours i caught 38 bass all were over 3 lbs and 3 were 5 lbs and 2 was six pounds. Man that was some fun and was mad when the wind got crazy. Winds started reaching around 30 mph!

So on this day i have yet to crappie fish, and i want to. But i had a blast, and my buddy that talked [censored] and said first light man first light. Well he missed out on a great day and i rub that in everytime i see him now. So have a good one and hopefully every1's weekend was great.
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

Just for the record that wasnt a cuss word, and wished i would have just typed [censored] so evry1 could just fill in the blank.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Sounds like an awesome day on the water. Johnnie is right on with those crappie tips. They love to feed looking up. Float and fly is a great way to really catch some numbers. The other option is swimming a little 1/16 oz hair jig or pan fish grub (1").
Brendan C.