Tackle, Equipment Gear - Oh My

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

I thought this might be a good question for the beginning Angler out there, like myself.

As a beginner, I find that all the tackle, gear, equipment, etc., available can be quite overwhelming . Not only are there a ton of different baits, but there are a ton of colors, not to mention the number of reels out there. Of course, each person has his or her favorites, and different techniques, but as a beginner, you have yet to learn what is good for you.

As I am told (Brendan ) trying out products is always a great way to determine what is good, bad or ugly , but I also do not want to spend thousands on products that are just may not be necessary for a beginner, yet, or are just plain bad. I read many of the posts and articles to learn more, and most are very helpful, however, it would be great to have a list of items or products that a beginner should consider purchasing when they are starting out as a bass angler.

So in a nut shell, what would a veteran angler recommend for a beginner angler?

Everyone was a beginner once.
Thanks
Wendy
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Since you put my name in your post, I guess I should respond... Recommendations from a Vet Angler... run for your life while you still have a chance!!! Once you get hooked, you're hooked for life and it only gets worse with time! (Just teasing)

When I started, I liked fishing with lures that I could see and watch for bass to react to the lure, so topwater/subsurface lures were what I chose to use most of the time. Since then, I have learned that bass will not always want to hit a lure on or near the surface, so I would not recommend simply choosing a favorite bait and only using it all the time.

Perhaps this will help to get you pointed in the right direction...

Several years ago I was asked to help a new angler choose some tackle and equipment that would get him started. He did not want to spend a lot of money right away, and didn't even own a fishing rod yet. Like you, he was concerned because there are so many lures, sizes and colors to choose from. What I said to him was that "you need a basic starter kit". So what's in a basic starter kit? My theory was (and still is) that for the beginner who is serious, you need to be able to cover the entire water column from top to bottom. So here it is...

Areas of the water column to cover:
Bottom
Middle
Subsurface

Lures: Soft Plastics (Senko type), Tube, Jerkbait, Spinnerbait, Popper

Terminal Tackle: Hooks, Weights & jig heads

Tackle Bag or Box: I would recommend a small bag with a carrying strap or one that can be worn around your waste that has a couple of medium size Plano plastic storage boxes.

Tools: Either a multi-tool (like a Leatherman style) or a pair of needle nose pliers and finger nail clipper for cutting line.

Line: 8 lb test

Rod & Reel: 6' 6" Medium-Heavy power, fast action (with some flex in the tip), 2500 Size Spinning Reel.

Budget will dictate everything, but you should try to get the best that you can afford. If you can give me a budget, I can get more specific. Ironically, I just stopped writing and went to Google and typed in "bass fishing start kit" and this article came up from BassMaster... it recommends basically the same things I was stating above (so I must be on the right track ) but it has a little more details and talks about sizes, colors and so on...

Bassmaster Article for Bass Fishing Starter Kit

This should get you (and anyone else reading) started in the right direction... I hope you find it helpful... give everything a read through and after post any questions you have and we can discuss more specifics.

Brendan
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

Excellent write up Brendan

But you need to include same Fat Ika's...
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Those Ika's are awesome... I was trying to keep the cost down... If we start adding a lot of Yamamoto baits into the picture, she'll be broke!
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

So true...i know of someone making some imitations, I give a try...nothing usually beats the original so we will see.
**Ray Charpentier**
wgbassgirl

Post by wgbassgirl »

Thankd for the info and the help. It's so overwhelming when you are in the beginning stages.

Might just have to give those Ika's a try with all the talk.

Thanks
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

They are great and versatile bait, like all of yamamoto's baits are...
**Ray Charpentier**
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

Well the better plastics are a little on the pricey side. But it sure does beat buying the wrong stuff and then goin to the more expensive stuff. Go with plastics that are salt impregnated and with sent. Throw weightless to get more strikes. Hope this helps out. Sometimes weird colors work great. LIke i use a pink and green senko 4" and the bass love'em alot. Have a good one