Best wayz to find fish when its hot.

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

I was just woundering what are the best ways to locate fish when it gets hot. Are they near the surface or are they mid level or at the bottom ? Where do you find the most oxygen when it is hot cause i am thinking that is where they will be. I guess the only time you will find fish in the shallows is in the morning before night and night time right ? Thanx for the help and man its so hot.
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

MbBass, that's a good question. Here in the Midwest our fish stay shallow all day- all summer, ten feet or less. Below 15 feet we lose all oxygen. It is cooler down there, but no oxygen.
Top waters work well as does flippin' and pitchin' soft plastics into heavy shoreline cover. I've found that fast retrieves work best for other baits-spinnerbaits and cranks. Green weeds and grass are especially good in summer-more oxygen. In the Ozarks lakes I fish between fifteen and tweny five feet deep with big billed cranks and soft plastics. Also, the Chatterbaits are a good bet. I really like off-shore humps, ditches and road beds in summer. Good luck. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Johnnie gave you some good advice. I like flippin' and pitchin', so I fish ultra shallow all summer long. The best fishing is right in the heat of the day. The bass get deep into heaver shoreline cover and you need to go in after them. These bass are more of the "loner" type and occupy the best available cover they can find.

As Johnnie mentioned, humps, ditches and road beds are great summer places. After the post spawn is over, the "school" bass move out to deeper water structure. An important thing to remember is that these bass are going to be following the most abundant source of food in the lake you are fishing. If the lake has shad, they will follow the shad. Find out what types of baitfish are in the lake you are fishing and then spend some time reading about that species of baitfish. If you know how they move, you will always be able to locate the bass (because they are never far away from their primary food source). Regardless of water temp, food is #1. Words to live by "Food and Structure"

When you find out what types of baitfish are in the lake you are fishing, let us know, so we can chat about this topic some more...

BC
Brendan C.
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

Right now there are shad and bluegill of various sorts and fathead minnows. It seems like all the ponds around here have them around here. I have had alot of luck lately with a spinnerbait with 4 willow blades in the brown tenn. shad. I throw it out as far as i can throw ( boy that revo st is awsome ) just let it sink on kinda slack line more times than not they hit it on the sink. Cant wait to go out on a boat and do some fishing. Every1 i know surfs or shore fishes. Thanx again fellas for your help , I know i ask alot of questions but you guyz help me out alot and i already catch more fish than my other friends and to date i have caught the bigger fish muhahaha.
BTwizy

Post by BTwizy »

Yeah Ive been pickin these guys brains too lol...Growing up bass fishing all my dad used was the all mighty"purple worm" I love the purple worm but Im also keeping my options open! For me discovering the JIG has really changed the way I fish. I love it... Now I havnt put a "Pig" on my jig yet...but I dont have a local bait shop and do all my freakin bait shopin at the wallmart But u guys have really helped me out... I've already caught more bass and bigger bass this year than I have the past 3 years of bass fishing. The problem Im runnign into now is setting the [censored] hook. I think for every fish I catch I miss 3.....blah any pointers:)
johnnie crain outdoors

Post by johnnie crain outdoors »

BT wizy, you really should use some kind of trailer on your jig. Walmart sells some fine pork frog or soft plastic type trailers for jigs. The trailer does a lot to emhance the bait, it can offer a two color combination by using a different color trailer, it adds bulk to the bait to allow for a larger profile and slows the decent of the bait, and whether scented or not, the fish will hold the jig/combo longer which may help solve the missed fish syndrome. I almost always set the hook at the first "sense" I have that a fish has taken the bait-it it often just a feeling or a slight weight on the end of my line. Good luck-have fun. Johnnie
Johnnie Crain
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

Yeah i have to agree with mister craine . I alwayz use a trailer as well . I most the time use a baby craw or a creaturebait as a trailer . I seem to get more bites with the creature on . Hope this helps . You know you can order online BT. Good fishing to ya