The spinner bait!

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
ukey28

The spinner bait!

Post by ukey28 »

1/4 ounce is a deadly bass lure in water under 50 or so degrees
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
SomethingSmells

The spinner bait!

Post by SomethingSmells »

Originally Posted By: Roboworm99I only use those spinners for trout

Hey,That's what I thought they where for. But one of the things I learned from this forum. It's try anything cause you never know.
James Carroll "Live,Love,Laugh and fish"
Roboworm99

The spinner bait!

Post by Roboworm99 »

True...but I need confidence in it too.

But I did catch a 5lb bass in a small creek once while fishing for trout on a 1/32 oz Panther Martin...

I just think there are better lures, for me that will give me the action I want in the water column I am looking to fish.
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

The spinner bait!

Post by brendanc »

S.S. if you want to see the kind of damage an Inline Spinner can do, just wait 'til the end of March Beginning of April. I'd be happy to take you out and show you how to use them. We'll experiment with a couple of other good spring lures so we have something to compare the results with.

When the conditions are right (which is often in the early spring) the in-line will put many other lures to shame...

--------

Robo,

I agree that you must have confidence in any you throw to get really good results (senko's excluded). It also comes down to how you work the lure and "where" you are fishing.

----------

Just something to share with everyone:

There is something very basic that I learned from reading the Linder's Books very early on:

"Bass either want a vertical or a horizontal presentations during a given activity period"

This is perhaps the single most important tip I ever learned. Everything I do stems off of that basic principal. When I get out on the water and locate fish, the very next thing I do is to show the bass two presentations "1 vertical, 1 horizontal". One will always outperform the other and when identified, you just eliminated 50% of your lure choices. Let's say during that activity period, they reacted to your horizontal offering, now you only need to focus on the lures that you have are predominately worked in a horizontal manor.

I like fishing "combo-lures"... a combo-lures is a lure that can be worked both vertically and horizontally. Some examples are:

Rattle Traps
Jigs (any soft plastic on a jig head or a traditional Jig & pig)
Sinking minnow or sinking swimbaits.

In practical use, let's say you are using weighted swimbait (one that will also sink) during your retrieve you can keep the bait coming horizontally, or stop reeling and allow the bait to fall (vertical presentation). Let's say you notice that your first strike occurred only when you stopped and let the lure sink, you should try and duplicate that presentation. Make another cast and this time make several pauses on your retrieve and allow more time for the swimbait to fall vertically. If you are able to trigger more strikes, you now know that the bass are looking for a "vertical" presentation. Let's say that you are getting some strikes on the fall, but not really connecting with the bass that strike, you already have one piece of the puzzle solved (they want a vertical presentation) so now you can try using a different lure with a vertical presentation. Personally when faced with short strikes, I like to immediately "down-size" the lure I am using. You might choose to throw a smaller grub on a jig head (let's say a 3" grub on a 1/4 ounce ball head jig. Cast it out and let it sink to the bottom. Pay attention to where you get your strikes. Near the top? on the way down? at the bottom? This will let you know where preferred feeding-zone is. You will quickly start to see better and better results as you figure out more of these details. This is called fine-tuning a presentation. You might be wondering "how am I supposed to know where the bass hit in the water column?", when you make a cast with the grub, start counting as soon as it hits the water surface (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi) See how long it takes for the grub to hit bottom. If it takes a "10 Mississippi count" to hit bottom, now you have a baseline to work from. Just break it into thirds and put the left over in the middle column. Meaning Top= 1,2,3 Middle=4,5,6,7 bottom=8,9,10
Now when did the strike occur (on what count)? Let’s say you got a strike on “3 Mississippi”, try and fine-tune your presentation by making another cast and only let the bait fall for a “4 or 5 count”. If you continue to get strikes during the first “5 count” you now know that the bass are using the “TOP COLUMN” for the active feeding-zone. So you can simply fan cast around and only let the grub fall for a five count, then reel it back in and cast again… no sense letting it go all the way to the bottom if you do not have to.
As you start to imagine trying this, you’ll probably have a lot of “what ifs” come to mind. Like, “what if the bass hits after the grub is sitting on the bottom after the 10 count is over”, or “how long should I let the grub sit on the bottom before working back in”, or “should I work it back in”. What I can offer is simply “experiment”… but pay close attention to when the strike occurs.
The better you get at this, the more and bigger bass you will catch.

I know it may sound complicated at first (to a novice), but it is really very simple. Frank Lapinski from our NY Prostaff wrote a very good three part article that can help explain this in more detail, here's the link to "part 2, Bass talk, are you listening?": Bass Talk, Are You Listening?

The main thing you should take away from this post is: Are the bass looking for a Vertical or Horizontal presentation? When you can identify that piece of the puzzle quickly, the rest will into place easier. At the very least if you only get the “Vertical/Horizontal” preference determined, you’ll be 50% more productive while you are out fishing.
I really do hope that this helps some of you guys/gals… I wanted to share this because it really improved my fishing personally and I am confident that it will do the same for you, if you are willing to give it a try.

Share what you learn... it's good Karma! lol

Brendan
Brendan C.
ukey28

The spinner bait!

Post by ukey28 »

Just like Lindner to be stealin my ideas!
brendanc

The spinner bait!

Post by brendanc »

Yeah, I know what you mean Frank... I remember when they stole your idea about space travel... oh, wait, that was the NASA, not the Linders...

BTW - This is one of the new board features... You can post Videos now... let's keep them clean though Frankie!
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

The spinner bait!

Post by Roboworm99 »

Well said Brendan.

Another excellent bait for this is the spinnerbait..you can bulge the surface (easy Frank >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" /> )...let it fall and helicopter (colorado blades work best) or slow roll it deep and tick along the bottom...even during the retrieve you can speed it up let it fall...jig it to pulsate the skirt, etc
**Ray Charpentier**
ukey28

The spinner bait!

Post by ukey28 »

Alright,
First; Don't believe everything the media tells you. Did you ever see the guys face in the spacesuit? So how do you know it was that pretty boy Armstrong? Nobody ever tells the story about him breaking down and crying like a baby, refusing to go into space. So I had to go, I didn't really want to but I had too.
Secondly a short arm single spin, Like a Stan Sloan is the ultimate helicoptering spinnerbait. Just wanted to keep it to fishing.
brendanc

The spinner bait!

Post by brendanc »

It was all a conspiracy... probably the reason why they won't let us into area 51. So Frank was in on it!!!

Brendan C.
ukey28

The spinner bait!

Post by ukey28 »

SSHHhhhhhhh, they're always listening!