How to Rig a Drop Shot - Alton Jones

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

thats them
**Ray Charpentier**
MbBass

Post by MbBass »

Thanx guys i really appreciate all the tips . I cant wait to use them . I have been catching alot of bass lately but want to try something else . I like being able to catch fish useing alot of different presentations .

Did you guys read up on bass like i did . Cause i wanted to know how to locate them better and what they did for every upcomeing season ? I really feel this has made me the fisherman i am today . I alwayz wanted to ask that but figured i was takein it way to serious . Well good luck to ya and get those lines wet as possible cause winter will be here soon .
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Mb... I have a library of books on bass. It's funny when I think back, but that's how this website came to be... As someone trying to learn more about bass fishing, I found it difficult to find information about the subject in one place. So as I came across more info, I figured why not share it with other people... what better place than the internet.

Hey, if you get the chance, pick up a copy of the book "LUNKER" by Bob Underwood. It will really open your eyes to what bass really do. This guy spent over 1,000 hours underwater observing bass and also doing various experiments to see how bass would react in different situations and circumstances. Once I started reading the book, I couldn't put it down.

BC
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

Here is a great link to an article from the Master my buddy, Aaron Martens:

http://bassfan.com/tips_article.asp?ID=216

I use the nose hook method most of the time, but I do you use Aarons method with the Re-barb hooks. For nose hooking I use either the Gamakatsu Drop shot hook in #2 or #4 depending on the bait. If I want a really light hook on real small baits, I use Owner Mosquito hooks in size 6-8 I use light wire hooks whenever possible I feel it gives more natural action to the bait. The drawback is...more chance of lost fish with the smaller hook.

**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Robo... I am a big fan of the #4 size Gamakatsu drop shot hook. Most of the time, I use finesse baits 2 1/2" to 3 1/2". I also nose hook the lure.

Link to Buy Gamakatsu Drop Shot/Split shot Hooks

Although the hook looks big in the above picture, these are tiny hooks. This photo might give some of the other people reading this post a better perspective on the size. Keep in mind that the worm in this photo is 3" long:

As for line 6 lb fluorocarbon does make a big difference, but I caution people trying this technique to be sure that you are using a quality spinning reel with a very good drag system, or you will break off a lot of fish, unless you back reel. I also found this video that features Ben Matsubu (BASS Pro) dropshotting, just another video to watch.

Ben Matsubu Drop Shot Bass Fishing

Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

thanks for adding the images..i didnt have the time to do it...

i use between 4-6 lb fluorocarbon line...iven been sticking with berkley vanish, i have not had problems with it at all and tough as nails...see the 24lb carp

when i use the 4-6" roboworms, the re-bark hooks work better the baits stay level and dont twist over.
**Ray Charpentier**
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

you need to start a topic on the Flick Shake
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Here's an idea, why don't you start a topic on the Flick-Shake worm? Last time I checked, this site is open for everyone to bring up topics to discuss. You can do it man! Go ahead... put up a post...
Brendan C.
Roboworm99

Post by Roboworm99 »

haha...i knew that was coming..i deserve it..tomorrow on my lunch ...we will have a post about the "Fantastic Flick Shak"

Dont forget also with drop shot...you can use bigger baits and heavier line and tackle flipped and pitched, known as Bubba Shotting.
**Ray Charpentier**
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

We call it "Power Shotting" on the east coast... Next we'll have to come up with something like "Flick Shotting"
Brendan C.