Keep learning from the guy driving the boat.

Just getting started in Bass Fishing? Hey, everyone started at some point. There are no wrong questions here, only the ones you don't ask. This is the place to ask for help on the basics.
Anthony Falzon

Post by Anthony Falzon »

Just wanted to bring up a few things on how good you can get being a non-boater, Ryder, co-angler etc.... I myself always took advantage of this as long as the boater was good, I have been privileged to have fished with some excellent bass anglers. You don't have to bomb bard them with questions just observing what they do is just as good.

Just to give you an example on how tuned in I was at a tournament I did with a great bass anger, We where fishing a bed we had spot ed during pre fishing, Well he was I just got the net ready and it was also a team tournament, anyways I know he was after the female but he caught one of the Male's, I put him in the live well and he continued to pursue the bigger female but kept saying it wasn't a good thing we caught the male first. After a couple of more try's at her he told me to go in the live well and release the male, I looked at him with 6 eyes and the fish I was about to release was about 2 1/2 lbs but hey I'm learning even though I thought he was out of his freak in mind I had the fish and was ready to throw him back, when he told me he was only joking put that boy back in the well. He said you where really going to release him, I said yes, anyways I felt a little embarrassed but hey what ever.

What I'm trying to say is you could learn so much from these guys its great.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Anthony,

I'm not sure if you remember, but there were 5 bass using that same area to bed. That male bass was just over 3 lbs and the big female was well over 6 lbs. If it was just 1 male and 1 female on that bed, I would have really had you put it back... but it's tuff to through back a 3lb fish in a tournament when that's the only one you've got in the box.

What happens sometimes is that the female will lock down on the bed when the male is gone, but that is only if she has already dropped her eggs. That day, she wanted nothing to do with that bed after that particular bass was gone... I was figuring that because there were still 3 bass hanging around the bed, she would eventually come back to the bed... we just didn't have the time to sit there all day.

There are times when catching the male first makes it easier to catch the female and other times when it is the worst thing you can do.

Man that was a long time ago...
Brendan C.
Anthony Falzon

Post by Anthony Falzon »

So you would really put him back in the water ? I do remember there where several other fish going in and out, It was a stone wall straight up, man built that had one tree right near the bed. The bed was pretty big to. Sun hit that spot first thing in the morning. That's what I'm trying to say in this topic how important it is to study the angler you are with.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Study, learn... but never steal their fishing spots... >/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink" height="15" width="15" />
Brendan C.
Anthony Falzon

Post by Anthony Falzon »

Courtesy is your best policy, Stealing some one's spot is just the the same as cheating in my book anyway. Don't get me wrong if nobody is in a certain area I will fish it but I will always make sure I'm not doing it purposely.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

Fantastic, so I should never run into you on "Pink Point", or any of those other key areas I took you to when we're both fishing in a tournament on "the wood"... Right? >/smirk.gif" alt="smirk" title="smirk" height="15" width="15" />
Brendan C.
Anthony Falzon

Post by Anthony Falzon »

Nothing to worry about B.C. My little boat will take a few days to get to those spots. I will get my bass boat someday and I will still be a man of my word.
brendanc

Post by brendanc »

See... was that so hard? >/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile" height="15" width="15" />
Brendan C.