Castaic Lagoon 3/20 - Tuber Meet-Up

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

I went out to the Goon today for the float tube meet-up and got there around 7:00. I went over to Paradise cove to meet some of the tubers and do a little fishing. I met some pretty cool people today. All of them were nice. One of the guys I met, Sean, gave me some hand poured worms and stuff and I used one of those and caught a 1 lb 10 oz bass. Thanks Shawn! I moved down and then started fishing for crappie. I got 9 of those, all ranging from around 1 to 2 lbs. The fish have moved up into the shallows and I am thinking next weekend will be when the fishing will start to get really good! Most of the bass were very spooky, but the crappie seemed to be fine. I am definitely getting better at sight fishing.

Nice, healthy first fish of the day: 1 lb 10 oz

1 lb 5 oz

10 oz

1 lb 12 oz

1 lb 13 oz

1 lb 11 oz

This one was frisky and escaped while I was trying to weight it! I'm guessing around 1 lb.

1 lb 7 oz

This one also escaped and I'm thinking it was around 1.5 lbs.

Note the deformed lip: 1 lb 1 oz
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

Those are some nice crappie! So now you belong to the Goon Tubers?!!! Have you tried running a tiny deep diving crankbait slowly through the crappie spots. I've caught them in the spring like that here in NY.
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: ukey28Those are some nice crappie! So now you belong to the Goon Tubers?!!! Have you tried running a tiny deep diving crankbait slowly through the crappie spots. I've caught them in the spring like that here in NY.
A deep diver? They are up real shallow right now, so that is why I am sight fishing. I just use crappie jigs that I get for 75 cents a pack! It was definitely a good investment! I might try some other things to use for sight fishing for them too.
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Good job Fire Ball. Those are some nice lookin' slabs.

Yeah the fuse is lit at the Lagoon and it will be going off real good as soon as the water warms up a little.

I think you're right, probably a week or two and it will be rocking pretty good.
ukey28

Post by ukey28 »

When I said tiny deep diver, I'm talking about one of those Little tiny divers that go about 5 deep. When the crappie spawn here in clear water, I find them on hard clean bottom near wood in about 6 feet of water. They are terrific to eat, too!
Frank : Bassin' USA Prostaff : New York
Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: ukey28When I said tiny deep diver, I'm talking about one of those Little tiny divers that go about 5 deep. When the crappie spawn here in clear water, I find them on hard clean bottom near wood in about 6 feet of water. They are terrific to eat, too!
I don't keep them. Especially when they are spawning. I don't like crank baits, but that is just me, haha. The tactics I use for bed fishing wouldn't work with a crank bait anyway.