Castaic Lagoon 3/28

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 3/28

Post by Fire Ball »

I decided to skip going to the Lagoon yesterday because of the high winds, so I went today instead. The weather was nice when it wasn't too windy, but a lot of the time the wind picked up making it harder to sight fish. After I launched and started to fish, I realized that my tube was leaking and that I was going to have a problem if I didn't inflate it every once in a while, lol. I went to my first spot and picked off 3 crappie all in the 1 to 2 lb range. I had to inflate my tube after every fish or sometimes more. It was pretty disappointing that I had to inflate it so often to stay afloat. I moved to my next spot and started catching some more crappie. They were also in the 1 to 2 lb range. The bass were almost all very skittish and swam away when they saw me, my shadow, or my lure. I did mange to finally hook a bass after trying to catch him for a while. I was using a crappie jig and only had 2 lb test on my reel. I knew I was in trouble once I hooked him, lol. I missed him the first time when he inhaled it, but stuck him the second time. For the first second, he was confused and didn't really try and fight so I thought that is was possible that I was going to be able to land him. Man, was I wrong... He took off after that and all I heard was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ as he was going straight for a submerged tree. At that point, I thought I was going to lose him in the tree. Then he made a huge jump and practically did a back-flip. He then ran right toward me and went for a different submerged tree right next to me! He did another jump and got my line tangled in the tree and he broke me off right then! I thought that I might have still had him, but the pressure I felt on my rod was just my line tangled around the tree. It was a nice solid 3+ lber too! I need to rig up my baitcaster spooled with 12 lb test line with a crappie jig next time so I can land my fish in heavy cover, lol. I wouldn't have even been able to land this guy on 6 or 8 lb test line even. I was SO mad after this happened. I left that spot and came back a little later and the bass was still there with a crappie jig in his mouth. I was determined to catch him again, but he wouldn't go for ANYTHING after that. He wasn't even getting spooked, he just would not bite anything even after I would REALLY annoy him. Not only did I want to get revenge, but I wanted to get that crappie jig out of his mouth. The water temperature was not as warm today as it was last week and I think that it was messing with the bass on the beds. I think that my tube does not have a hole, but the valve was just cross-threaded causing air to escape. I was unable to find a hole, so hopefully it was just the valve.

2 lb 0 oz - Probably a new PB? Not sure.

1 lb 11 oz

1 lb 10 oz

1 lb 9 oz

1 lb 10 oz - Jimmy took this picture for me.

1 lb 9 oz

1 lb 10 oz

1 lb 9 oz
swimbait101

Castaic Lagoon 3/28

Post by swimbait101 »

ok guys, i think we have Mr. Crappie II

Crappie-inusa
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 3/28

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101ok guys, i think we have Mr. Crappie II

Crappie-inusa
Lol, Jimmy wants to call me The Crappie Kid.
swimbait101

Castaic Lagoon 3/28

Post by swimbait101 »

your not a kid anymore

kids dont drive
Fire Ball

Castaic Lagoon 3/28

Post by Fire Ball »

Originally Posted By: swimbait101your not a kid anymore

kids dont drive
Lol, I'm a kid compared to most of the guys that fish.