Castaic Lagoon: Monday AM 4/26

Read reports, exchange information and current conditions for the lakes, ponds & rivers in your area...
George Cawthorn

Post by George Cawthorn »

Had the day off from work on Monday so I decided to get in a little fishing time.

Made it up to the Lagoon early, 6:00 AM and they were just opening the gates.

Got down to my usual spot and nobody was on it so I hunkered down.

It was still a little chilly, air temp was 54, water was warm though @ 62. Sky was clear as a bell, water clarity was outrageously clear again, barometer was 29.97 and steady.

Lake was glassy and calm as could be.

I started out with the Ika hoping to score a repeat with a smallie like I had on my last trip. That was not in the cards today.

Had a couple of minor pokes and hits on the Ika. The type that tell me the fish are in the defensive mode protecting beds. So OK I get this one good tap and bring in my lure..... yup shorts pulled down and top of Ika unbuttoned.

Rig up a fresh one and cast out on the exact same line for a retrieve. I know where you live now dude and I'm coming back to piss you off big time.

Second pass payed off and I connected with this really frisky 2.25 lb. bass. Gave a pretty good fight for its size too!!! Did notice that its tail was still a little bloody from all the bed dusting.

A couple of guys came buy in a bassboat. They were sight fishing down by the bouy line. They did come a little too close in front of me when they passed but I didn't say anything to them. I knew what the reply would have been. "Sorry we didn't see you with the camo on."

Fished on for a while and decided to give the small dropshots a go. Had another tap off to my right and tried to do the same thing again. Make a second pass and get the fish mad.

Yup.... that did the trick again. Hooked up with this nice four pounder with the 4" Bonzai cinnamon neon core DS.

The bite was pretty good between 6 AM and 7. Then got pretty slow. I hung in there till about 10:30 AM fishing a variety of jigs, swimbaits and rotating back and forth between the Ika and the DS.

No more bites for me. Just got the two shown. Fish were released after photo op.

When I split conditions were still good. Slight breeze from the SW. There were some tubers and sailboats out there. Air temp was up to 70, water was 64.

All in all a very nice half day of shoreline fishing at the Lagoon.

Fire Ball

Post by Fire Ball »

Nice report. The water clarity has definitely improved a LOT since last week.
swimbait101

Post by swimbait101 »

cool report geo, nish feesh
are u gonna get a tube soon??

that chinese dude in the sailboat is pretty cool. see him alot and we talk sometimes